Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi from Hudson Valley NY... Need advice

salty444ssalty444 Posts: 149
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

My name is Chris and I am 34 yrs old from the hudson valley NY... I am about 6ft and 200 pounds. I am mildly active and not out of shape. My back has been killing me for 6 years. I finally decided to go for an MRI and this is what I saw on the disc.... I am wondering if anyone here can tell me if this can be fixed surgically or other? I already underwent rounds of anti-inflamatory steriod shots and they did nothing.

oops.... how do you post a pic?

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856

For a Spine-Health Site introduction, Click on :

Welcome To Spine-Health

If you have any questions, feel free to contact (PM) any one of the Moderators here Priestess , Jeauxbert, Bruce , Paulgla, DiLauro
    In addition, you can always contact any one of the members of the Authority team haglandc , tamtam , Neck of Steel , Cath111

The Spine-Health Web site offers so much more than these Member Forums.
    Check the various tabs at the top of the Spine-Health page and you will find so much that is offered here.

Please remember that all information you receive from members on this forum is NOT
    formal medical advise. You should always consult with your doctors.

To get back to the Forums, you can always click on Forum Home

Please feel free to contact me at rdilauro@gmail.com or send me a message

Take a look at our FAQ, that will give you some information on how to post a picture. Whats more important than the picture would be the readings of the MRI report. We here are not trained to interpret reading, but there are always key words to look for.
    What did your doctor say in terms of any action plan based on your MRI??

MidHudson.... I worked in Poughkeepsie for about 20 odd years (IBM) Spent a lot of time between
    Fishkill, Wappinger Falls, Poughkeepsie, Hyde Park, etc
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • What did your doctor say? Who ordered the MRI?
  • Hudson Valley....not far from NYC at all. Y'all get all the snow though.

I hope you get an answer soon for your back and from the MRI. When is your follow up with the doctor that ordered the test????

Is Hudson Valley near Northern Westchester Hopsital? I had a friend there once.....just wondering.

Please keep us updated...and we're hoping for the best for you!

• I'm not too far from you.
    I'm not a doctor but what I've learned is that MRI alone won't tell you if you need surgery.

It's a combination of the MRI and your "history/story". So, what are your symptoms? Do you have lower back pain? Is it accompanied with leg pain, numbness, or weakness?

Have you tried Physical therapy?
    You mentioned they tried Steroid injections. I'm not so familiar with that but I assume it might be similar to epidural injection (you'd have to go to hospital and I believe they would have done an MRi before prescribing that option).

As for surgery...your doctor will offer you advice. And, I would suggest you get at least a 2nd opinion.

It's a very personal decision. It comes with risks, failure rates, future surgeries...but I know people, depending on the surgery that have experienced 10 years of improvement from minimally invasive surgery.

If you'd like, let us know what your doctor says at the follow up. I can't see the report to see if it's any bit similar to my situation but from the sounds of it, your situation is different.
  • Ok so I got the MRI results.... I'll type what I think is the important parts... I have low back pain, back spasms (shooting pains) and pain that runs down my right leg and sometimes my left. I am active but it still hurts.

Mild posterior disc bulging at L2/L3

Slightly greater, still mild disc bulging circumferentially at L3/L4

At L4/L5 there is moderate narrowing of the disc space with mild circumferential disc bulging and posterior midline/parasagittal rightward broad based disc herniation. there is accompanying thecal sac impression which is greatest rightward. There is diminished signal on the T2 weighted and STIR images within the disc. There is endplate signal aberration and best appreciated as hyperintensity on the T2 weighted and STIR images and compatible with edema/granulation tussue (type 1 degenerative change)

There has been progression of degenerative disc changes at L4/5 including transition from disc bulge to herniation. There has been resolution of edema within the involved segment of the disc in the interval.

Ok, can someone interpret this for me into plain english???

do I need surgery ?
  • honestly, only your surgeon can tell you that....but it sounds like you are not a happy camper! My MRI report showed mild bulging of C4/5 and 5/6 with slight stenosis. I waited 3 years...tried everything I could before surgery. Physical therapy, epidural steriod injections and triggerpoint injections, plus every medication the dr was wanting to try.

last August was the final straw and I finally had surgery in November. But this might not be your case. Conservative treatment might work for you! I pray it does!!!! :?

Please let us know what your surgeon and you both decide. This is a joint decision between you and the surgeon only. We'r'e here to stand by your decision and be a friend when you need it! I've been a member with s/h only since November and already have met wonderful friends that I hope to meet face to face one day.

• forgot to say my mri report says, L5/S1 level is transitional.... what does that mean
  • Anyone? This MRI is freaking me out