Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

got some good news today!!!!

dehoyos13ddehoyos13 Posts: 290
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

Hi my spiney friends. I saw my ortho surgeon today. After weeks of being clumsy and hitting my head and such, we might have found an answer!

I sat in the dr's office waiting for him to come, reviewing my list of questions. He walked in and says "I was up until 3am researching and reading about your case. I think I found the answer". I was floored becaue I didn't think doctors did stuff like that. I'm used to the drs that if they don't know what it is, they medicate it.

He said that there is a ligament at the bottom of my spine and because I also have lumbar herniated disk, that the ACDF while fixing my neck triggered the nerves to reawaken and the muscles to tighten in reaction of the pain stimulus. He gave me a simple but extremely PAINFUL exercise to do twice a day for the next four weeks. He said for me to push through the pain but not overdo it. I'm to stay with the Vicoden and Flexeril for the next 4 weeks.

Ok...that's' the good news!!!! The bad part was that after he did it, my head felt like it was gonna explode and my left arm was completely tingling. He sais this was completely normal and would resolve after a while.

so...still not driving or working but we have an answer for the clumsiness and pain this far into recovery....I think that's good news.

• Thats good that you got an answer to your clumsiness (I think I'm just a spaz and have no medical reason for it!) Just knowing there is a reason to the problem is such a relief, then you can deal with it. Continue to take care of yourself....Lisa
  • Sounds complicated to me, but as long as your surgeon and you understand, and you believe it will work, hang in there through the tough weeks. There appears to be a bright light at the end of the tunnel.
    Oh yeah... be careful :)
    God Bless and Keep You,
  • or should i say gals. My lower back is hurtin' like crazy but yeah...I believe him. He's one of the best in his field.

Xrays show that the fusion, while not yet healing is well seated and has not shifted. AFter all the bumps I took, that's good.

I'll keep updating to let you all know how it works. Thanks for the well wishes!!!!!!!

• So used to doctor's running you through their offices like cattle that it's nice to have your doctor spend the time to research your weird symptoms and not just blow you off.

Good luck with the exercises -- if you have to bite down on something (you know how they do in the movies when somethings going to hurt), I'd opt for chocolate (LOL!)

Best of luck and hopefully you won't have to buy that football helmet to protect your head. :D

Take care,

• My son just picked up M&Ms plain for me. ha ha! =))
  • At least you know what's going on with the lumber area and it's causing the imbalance. It seems the whole spine is affected when surgery is done on another area. It sounds like this Doctor is concerned about you to be up researching the cause of the problem. I hope this exercise helps you and you continue to heal from your surgery. It really helps when you are positive and upbeat! Now I think I'll get a piece of chocolate. You take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hey this is great news...definitely keep us posted on if the exercises work.

It's crazy but I kept telling my doctors my upper back and neck were killing me after surgery. They all told me "yes, just because we operate low doesn't mean anything..." they reminded me the entire back is 'stressed' when the operate on the spine.

Sure enough, they were right.
  • Did you catch the name of the ligament? I'm curious what the exercises are that you were given for this.

I really hope the surgeon is correct and that he found the solution to your problem!!
  • Hope that you've found the answer to your problems.
    I've been meaning to drop you a line to check on you.

Take care...umm, chocolate sound so good right now!

• That sounds like good news. What a cool doctor to actually take the time to review your case like that. I hope the exercise works for you.
  • Thanks.....Lisa. Chocolate and I will be parting ways soon. Nel...I think he's great too. What an amazing dr he is.

But I gotta tell you....that simple exercise has my lower back even more achy than before. He said its natural and to expect pain before there is less pain.

I'll work through this until I see him again in 4 weeks. I'm glad first that I have a great dr and second that there are folks out here in cyberworld that do care!

• Yvonne-I am so happy that the dr.found the culprit!You are strong!I am cheering for you!!!!!
  • >:D< <:P

Thanx!!!!! And from what I read....I'm not the only strong woman on here! How are you doing??????

This exercise kicked my bum today. after taking the vicoden and flexeril, I slept almost all day....while my poor hubby lay in our bed sick, I'm still in my daughter's bedroom. Soon I'll get to be with my favorite man in the world!

Thanks again and please, keep me posted on your recovery too!

• I am doing good!I have been pushing myself to walk a little longer every day,but I sure am sore.Today I went out in the yard 3 times,but mainly just piddled around.I am fine with piddling!I take 3 7.5 hydro a day,and had to take another one last night so I could sleep.But I am off of the 10s so that is good.also I loved on my donkeys across the fence today,and it was the first time I felt like even doing that,so life is good!please let me know how you are doing--you have been such a strength to me,I want to do anything I can!
  • You do Jeannie, you do.....you make me smile!!!!!

I'm glad you're feeling up to be out and about. Its too cold here for me to walk..the trembling makes my neck hurt. I'll get on my treadmill again next week.

I lowered my dosage of Vicoden too. I asked the dr for a lower dose. I'm glad for all my spiney friends and for such a great doctor. I think God sent me to him!!!! The wait to see him is typically 2 months or more. I waited 3 days. ha!