Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Careful IF you copy words from the Internet

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Spine-Health Announcements
I know that many of us look at other web sites to get detailed information. Many times we take some of that information and post it here.

It is very important that everyone fully understands Internet Copyright rules. Basically, it governs if you are able to copy words/pictures/etc from a site and use it on another site.

So, if you see some photos or phrases that you would like to post here on Spine-Health, you must FIRST verify that there is no copyright restrictions from the original site. There are major fines for anyone that posts copyright information without permission.

Since this is a private organization with a public oriented forum, the responsibility of ensuring copyright information is protected lies with the person doing the posting.
So to net it out, if Member A posts photos and passages from another site that is copyright protected and posts it here, the violation, penalties and fines would be imposed on the person making the post.

Therefore, I encourage EVERYONE before you take information from another site MAKE SURE there are no copyright restrictions. If you are not sure, contact the site and ask.

Two small examples:

My wife wanted to use some cartoons to illustrate a point regarding COPD. The site we found the correct photos was copyright protected. To legally copy one of those photos, we had to pay $25. If we copied those photos without paying, we could have be subject to a $5,000 fine.

Some sites even go to the point where you can not COPY a photo, they restrict that feature.

Phrases and words are harder to protect. Copying word for word from another site could be very illegal. If you can not find the proper copyright information, the best you can do is to post 'phrases' of the original information, and also including the source.

Remember, the penalty for illegal posting of copyrighted information lies with the Person posting the information. So, please make sure when you use information from other sites.
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• For posting this. In addition to the possible legalities of doing so, I just want to add, IMHO, that it is just morally and ethically wrong to deceive others by copying someone else's words from another site and taking credit for it. To me its plagiarism. Its like the student who has an assignment for an essay, goes to the internet, and copies another's words for their own benefit.

Hope you are feeling better regarding your shoulder Ron. Thank you again.

• Is it OK to provide a link to a site that contains an article that you want someone to see...or that you think would be of interest to many others?

Is it just copying, for example, a paragraph out of that article and posting it on this site?

I understand how plagiarism works in general, but the topic you raise is something more complicated than simple plagiarism, right?
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    There are so many resources that we can get valuable information from. And as you know we all like to post that information here for others to read.

It can get tricky figuring out what information is ok to copy and which is not. Providing a link to another site that has that information is a different subject.

So, a rule of thumb:

1- If you are COPYING information/photos/etc from another site and POSTING it on Spine-Health, it is your responsibility to check the site you are copying from IF the data/etc is copyright protected or not. Most sites label that pretty much up front. If not and you can not determine it, you would need to contact the site owners to verify that.

2- If you are providing a LINK to a site that has the information you want people to read, then the procedure is different. One, the site being directed to can not viewed in any way as a site made for profit. Then the Spine-Health rule for no solicitation comes into play.

Its always best to play on the safe side.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Lately I have seen several post that members have taken word for word someone else's writing and copied it here as if they have written the information. Now it would be different had they said they read this some place or found this on the net. But the ones I am speaking of the writer made it look as if it was their original work. There is no quotation or anything to make it look as it belongs to anyone other than them. I personally don't understand why someone would feel the need to take credit for others work. I am sure most of us have been in school and clearly know what plagiarism is and how it works. Remember you couldn't copy the books in the library and turn it in as your work. You were to read the books and learn from them. If you quoted out of the book you had to list the source of the information and had to be placed in quotes or identified that it was not your work.