Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Doing what you love

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,841
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Good News
Its now been 7 months since I officially retired from IBM. In the beginning, I thought that I would just sit around and do nothing (and I basically did that)

But now I am getting busier.

- I have a part time job selling wines/liquors at a local wine shop.

- My client base for my computer consultant job has increased by 5, so I am seeing at least 2 people a week.

- I Volunteer once a week at the Hospital Rehab center I used for Physical and Aqua Therapy

I love doing all three of those things. The computer work is just natural for me and the majority of my clients are older folks (70+) that have computers, have problems, dont know where to turn and just need help

The volunteer work, well, thats just one small part I can give back to the Center that helped me back to my feet.

But what has really taken my heart and soul is working back in the wine industry. I started with that when I was 20 years old and spent many years perfecting my knowledge.
I read and read, drank and drank, went to classes, talked with wine experts and much more. By the time I was 25, I was close to a wine expert (and wanted to achieve the title
of wine sommelier. I ran dozens of wine tastings, at large centers and at private homes. I became president of a local chapter of a national Wine organization callled:
Les Amis Du Vin (Friends of Wine) Even while working for IBM, I still kept up my skills, ran many tastings and probably hit my peak when I organized several Wine and Food Dinners. Pairing wines with foods. I got to choose the wine and work with chefs to make sure we had the best foods to go with the wines I selected.

Ok, to some, this my be boring, but to me, it has re-ignited a flame that is now burning 1000 times brighter and stronger than it did in the past.

I am such a happy and fortunate man.. I have a family that loves me, I have all of you at Spine-Health who mean so much to me and now I am working in a field that was also such a big part of my heart

I am a lucky person and I am happy for every day I get up and do what I love to do.
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• Ron, your post put a big smile on my face. You are definitely a fortunate man to be doing what you love, as well as being able to give back to others. Thanks for the uplifting post, Lisa
  • I think it would be great to work part time in a job you'll like and a benefit since you have the wine experience. I hope you get an employee discount. That's good you're keeping busy with helping others with computer information too. Sometimes I could use the help with someone for computer knowledge and you've helped me with some tips also. Carry on and it's good you're keeping active. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Les Amis du Vin is French! I thought you were Italian?!?!

I'm glad you're doing what you love to do. My mother in law retired about 5 years or so ago; she's been busier than ever since then. Some consulting through her previous career, but mainly living the life. I love that woman!

You stay happy and content now. (don't MAKE me come over there!)
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,841
    Always know that I would be more than honored and happy if you came up this way.
    We could exchange our Northern New York sound and Lou-Easy-Anna style.
    We could also exchange recipes and I could see first hand how to make CrawaaaFish and eat them properly
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Ron you are truly a fortunate man.

The last few weeks I have been in a melancholie mood. Having survived the past year I am thinking more about what is important in life. I don't want to look back on my life and say "I wish...." I'm not ready to make a major life change quite yet but it's time to think further than next week. Included in these thoughts is the realization that not only will I age naturally I will probably endure more aches and pains from the insults done to my body in the accident.

So it's time to do some serious planning for the future. Time to embrace my New Reality and find the best way to live the years ahead!!