Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Intersting article about to have or not to back surgery!

bjfergebbjferge Posts: 123
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi All,

Was recently read Good Housekeeping, and found this article about is back surgery right for you. I read it, and found it to be very helpful for both people who are looking to have back surgery, and convertional treat that work and don't. And for people who have had fusion, and are now suffering from chronic pain.

I hope you find it as interesting as I did,
Bobbi Jo

• Interesting link at end of that article that leads to a site that shows Dr's that are compensated by manfacturers of medical devices. worth a look.
  • Trasee said:
    Interesting link at end of that article that leads to a site that shows Dr's that are compensated by manfacturers of medical devices. worth a look.

I saw that too, thats where you don't want to see your doctors name pop up. :(
  • That is a very good article for all to read. It explains a lot and shows how people really should think before they have that surgery.

I had my surgery because it was to help stop more nerve damage but my spouse was told not to do any surgery as his herniation was not bad enough. Even with my surgery there was only a 50/50 chance it would help relieve problems that already existed but it did which was a bonus in my eyes.

For all thinking about surgery please make sure you have tried all other options as there is no going back once a surgery is done. As this article says surgery does not mean you will have no more pain. You could find you have more pain because of other issues like scar tissue happening. This is all my opinion but please do research and try as many options as you can.

• It is a great article.
    I guess since I had back/leg issues, doctors have always told me 'avoid back surgery' at all costs.

So when I really hurt myself and had significant leg feeling loss and weakness and loss of sensation in my perineum, I was concerned about other bodily function nerves being impacted.

I had the microdiscectomy but I fought it. I asked about steroids, tried them...double dose did absolutely nothing. I asked about epidural (which I still think I should have tried.

Long story short, I purposely look for conservative doctors b/c I just am worried about 'quick fixes'.

The doctor I just switched to still doesn't think I'm urgent. I didn't believe him at the last appointment but he did send me for another MRI.

I have to tell you, I believe him that I'm not urgent b/c I've had a decent week with warmer weather, walking shorter but more frequently, being less stressed.

I'm sure about giving my 2nd surgery a try but I didn't rush into it.

If it fails...I will have the choice to live with the current state or try fusion. I'm not sure what I'll do if that happens.

Thanks for sharing. It really is about getting more than just 1-2 opinions.
  • Very good article. I also found links to rehab in my area through Carf. Thanks. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN