Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I have to break up with my doctor

jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Chronic Pain
I have made a decision today that I am not taking very well. I am going to break up with my PM doctor. I have been with him for 6 years now but finacially have no choice, His office is located in the hospital so every time I see him I get a bill for phy. services and a facility fee. Dr office visit 178.oo, facility fee 460.00. Priceless....With the change in my insurance this year I am required to pay a higher percent of my bill then before. I see him almost 2 times a month so you can see where this would add up. I have a sppointment with new doctor on Feb. 15th and will see him my last time on Feb.4th. So how do I tell him? I almost feel like I am betraying him. lol. What if he will not refill meds since I am going to go to someone else? The new doc does not prescribe meds on first visit. So do I not tell him until after the fact? At a loss on how to handle this.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,863
    that you will be seeing, I would discuss your medication refills with both doctors.

A good and reasonable doctor would not feel betrayed by the fact that financially you can no longer see them. Everyone , including doctors know that we are in a pretty tight economic era. Who knows some doctors today are adjusting their fees to work with their patients or coming up with payment plans.

Letting your current doctor understand your concerns regarding a prescription refill should be done know
    You should also contact your future doctor and explain what you are doing.

This way both doctors know what is going on. They may come up with a solution that is best for you.
    Just do not want until the last minute.

Being up front and honest with your doctors is always the best policy

Good luck
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Breaking up is hard to do - especially when trust and other bonds have had time to form; not to mention that all too valuable "comfort zone".

I would definitely be honest with him - his fees are such that you can no longer afford him. Maybe there is another clinic he goes to once a month and can see you there?

At least leaving will be on good terms and not that you violated protocol or anything hary/scary like that.

good luck, hon! hope this new road will be as smooth as the current.
  • The facility fee issue is a known issue- many insurance companies will not pay it at all. I am sure your doctor will fully understand!

I would tell both doctors what is going on, and your current doctor can let the new doctor know when your meds will need to be refilled. The last thing you want to be accused of is "doubling up" doctors. Generally there is a form that the new doctor will send when he gives you a prescription, telling your old doctor not to prescribe pain meds anymore.

This discussion has been closed.