Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Muscle Pain in Healing

Kris-NYKKris-NY Posts: 2,207
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi Guys

Well after a few days of feeling really great I started getting a sharp muscle pain in my back. I am wondering if this is normal or if I tore something by moving wrong.

I am going to call my neurologist because I think it's odd that it is only on the right side which was my problem side. Could this be new neuro pain?

• Man, these pains we get after surgery are really something strange and hard to get used to.

I had surgery on Jan. 6 on L4/5 (fusion/decompression) and had pain down my right leg until last Tuesday, was proud it was gone for the last three days and it's back now. In addition, there's a lump on the right side of my incision that seems like a muscle and it's pretty painful to touch.

It's like our pain just decides to move someplace else when we wake up.

I hope your new sharp pain isn't anything serious. Please let us know what the doc says. This stuff isn't easy, but we have each other and I'm anxious to hear what's going on with you.

• Kris---the last few days my leg has really been aching---but I am walking more---the information I received before surgery included the possibility of the nerves in the affected leg to still ache--I hope this is what is happening,let us know!
  • also my back--sorry---I had to take an extra pain med,yesterday----and my incisions are really aching--3 weeks post op
  • I KNOW! My right side muscles are still acting up! There is a super sore spot down low that's been extremely tender since the surgery. The whole thing has really been bothering me.

I just have to remind myself that I have this huge-a cut up my back and it's barely been 2 weeks! The stitches are still holding me together inside there.

I DID go without the back brace for the first few hours of work today. I had to go put it on, but there was some signs of improvement!
  • Kris,

Just to let you know. I have experienced quite a bit of pain since surgery that stems from my trapezium muscle spasms. From my NS visit today, some people's body's are different. Like me, who use to lift a lot of weights I am fighting my rather large and developed traps right now who are having a hard time adjusting to the new mechanics of my neck.

I think with any major surgery, muscles will do funny things to us. Your situation I believe is very common and normal. It requires patience and persistence to get the muscles to cooperate. Believe me I know after 2 back surgeries. Hang in there, it will get better. That is what I am saying for me right now as I am becoming good friends with Soma until I can get my traps to return to normal.

Also, find a PT that does soft tissue work, that might help a great deal.

• Jon

Thanks for the words of support. I just stopped taking my skelaxin because I didn't think it was doing anything. Do you find the Soma helps? I am going back to my neurologist tomorrow and I am wondering if he will suggest trying something different. I still find sleep to be difficult. After about 5 hours i am tossing and turning.

• Kris,

I take Skelaxin. It does work but it is mild. Nothing like taking Valium or heavy stuff. The nice thing about Skelaxin is that it doesn't knock you out. I go to work, PT, etc. and it doesn't slow me down. Don't take it for a few days and you might notice it.

It does not make your muscle aches go away. Like Jon said. Your muscles have to adjust to your situation. You just started PT. Any stretching that they need will also aggravate them. You can try heat before PT to loosen muscles and then cold after PT to control the swelling. You definitely want a PT who does some massage. Soft tissue at first then deeper as you progress. I'm onto the part where we are trying to break down scar tissue. You feel it. The muscles hurt. I take the muscle relaxer to stop spasms, not make the pain disappear.

Good luck. Stretch, stretch, stretch... ;-)

• The other therapist did the massage today. He focuses on the scar tissue - yippee!! I actually felt much better today.

I was just wondering if a good muscle relaxant might help in healing the muscles. Not sure what the logic would be in that. I will ask my neuro tomorrow.
  • I found that an increased dose in my Zanaflex (from 4mg to 8mg) made a world of difference for me pre-op. When I was finally able to take a muscle relaxer post-op, my NS rx'd either Flexeril or Skelaxin (I have a bit of a fuzzy memeory on that one) and it didn't do squat for me. The next morning, I gently reminded him that I had been taking Zanaflex at the 8mg dose pre-op and he admitted that he forgot I had been on it! He changed the order and it helped. I definitely notice when my next dose is due. The muscles around my incision area really start to tighten up and it gets uncomfortable.
  • 5 weeks postop-muscles are yuk!I had forgotten how miserable that is---I am getting around well,but muscles are really sore-and I dread P.T. because I remember in the beginning it is not pleasant.I won't call this a Mini-Meltdown,but a Five-Week Funk.