Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

3 months out from TLIF

dapopo315ddapopo315 Posts: 40
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hey to all my fellow spineys. I just had my 3 month check up from my open L4-5 TLIF. As usual the doctor is happy with my progress.

I'm still having a lot of pain in my lower back. My left butt cheek has a burning/aching/stabbing pain at times. The outside of my left knee along with the back side of my knee (I usually call that spot my "leg pit") is hurting as well. Lastly the outside of my left foot has numbness & tingling most of the time. These things are most bothersome while I'm sitting in my recliner or when I have been walking too much. At times my lower back gets a sudden stabbing pain that sucks the air strait out of me & at times buckled my knees. I still have a lot of the poping & grinding in the surgical area. When I start hurting bad I either lay down with my knees bent or lean/bend forward.

My doctor is having me continue with physical therapy but increased the amount of weight I can lift from 20lbs to 30lbs. According to him, I have about 6 more weeks until I need to start pushing harder to recondition myself.

When I asked about the pain I've been having, he said that I'm just a "slow fuser". According to him, I am still on course time wise for my fusion. During my fusion he found that I had one piece of bone that had broken off & was floating around getting caught in my nerves & another fracture on the L4 that he corrected.

Being roughly 3 months out is still early in the game. I guess I'm just curious if there's anyone else who has the same symptoms. How is your pain? I've been taking Vicodin 5mg/500mg 2 every 5-6 hours. All it really does is take the edge off the pain, it doesn't take it all away.

Thank you in advance!!!

• Did you have X-rays done on this visit? If so, what did the x-ray reveal about your fusion?

• Lisa, thanks for the reply. Yes I had x-rays done at my last visit. He said it looked like there was some bone growth started. Other than that he said everything looked good, I'm assuming that meant the rods & screws.

I hurt my back on June 1st. The first doctor that workman's comp sent me to had been treating my L5-S1 until the middle of September. During that time I had at least 6-8 injections done. I guess another question I have now is . . . do the injections give you scar tissue?