Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Doc Recommending Hybrid ADR @ L4/5 Fusion L5/S1

Hi Everyone,
I was just told last week that I am a great candidate for hybrid surgery, which is supposedly really new. I'm talking to the folks over at UCLA's Spine Institute, which is apparently one of the top places for this surgery.

I wanted to know if anyone out there has had this style surgery? I've read a lot about the pros and cons...

I'm a high level athlete / stunt woman... my mobility and pain control of vital importance to me. I just had my first epidural yesterday and already I feel SO much better. If surgery could make this permanent, I really want to try.

Also I've read that mixed messages about being able to have a child afterward? 2 years on some, 1 on others, never on a few posts here. What have been your experiences?

Thanks in advance,

• My son was a powerlifter, puts a lot of strain on your back. He was a national champion twice. I hope you are putting this activity aside for a while to give yourself a rest.

There are no guarantees that you will be pain free after surgery. Some of us have done well.

I have only had fusion, so can't help you with your question about the Hybrid ADR, but wanted to welcome you to this wonderful site.

Best wishes,

• Don't have any experience of this hybrid surgery, but have heard of fusions being combined with interspinous devices.
    I have been told that a hybrid of Wallis ligament at L3/L4 and fusion at L4/L5 may be what I am told I need.
    I am in the UK, where I believe these types of surgery are quite common.

I'll be interested to hear what others say.

Hope they find a surgery for you that will relieve your pain.
  • Hello,

I use to be really into weight lifting until I just had my neck fused a few months ago. I have an ADR in my lower back that I had done 6 years ago. I have never heard of hybrid surgery other than I guess they're saying do some fusion, do some ADR depending on what is best.

I have the Pro-Disc and I will tell you that it has worked out really well. I have been pain free in lower back for 4 years. It takes some time to adjust to it, but within 2 years after surgery, I was able to get into really heavy weight lifting again. In fact doing power squats, which may have contributed to my neck going bad. So be careful that once your lower back gets fixed, you don't ignore your neck. Think of it like your knees, when one goes bad the likelihood of the other going bad increases.