Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New pain when I cough in Lower back and buttocks

karenlkkarenl Posts: 42
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Lower Back Pain
Recently started feeling bad pain in lower back, tail bone area and buttocks after having 4th ESI injections.The slightest cough sends me into pain. Today it started going fdown my thigh. Feels like spasms eerywhere. This is on top of lower back pain , leg pain to toe and right buttock pain due to herniated discs , stenosis in cervial , thorasitic and lumbar. Before I could lean forward with out pain , now I cannot. The pain is horrid when I walk , had to take walker into showerunable to stand. Difficulties getting up from chair or moing in the bed. Has anyone else felt pain like this,

• I'm so sorry to hear you are having such awful pain after your injections.

Can you tell us what your spine problems are? Someone is sure to give you some ideas on how to help get some relief for your pain.

All I can say is I hope you feel some relief soon.

Peggy x

• Pain on coughing and sneezing indicates constriction that increase when the pressure of these events happens, hold onto something and exhale when coughing try to make the noise go out rather than down.

Any incline from the perpendicular will make it worse and one measure was to lie down and see if we could raise each leg individually to the same height or loss of sensation in the arch of the foot.

The shot was to ease the pain and not the underlying condition, when do you go back to the doctor, any intervention will increase the pain and look at a plan of all the thing you do that does make it worse and try not to do them, I know that is hard and the list is getting longer, this is the pattern of how the development of chronic pain continues.

Take care and good luck.

Slow slow,

• I just saw your post. Are you being treated by a general practioner? Have you had any imaging done, like a MRI?

It sounds like you could be having a problem with stenosis, where there is a narrowing of the central canal. This puts pressure on the spinal nerves that control sensation and movement to the extremeties.

Generally with stenosis, the patient gets a little bit of relief when bending or flexing forward. This movement opens up the angle of the vertebrae, giving the discs a bit more space. People get relief when pushing a shopping cart, for example. The fact that this used to help your pain and now does not probably means the stenosis is getting worse. (Think of a garden hose that has become clogged with mineral deposits. There is less and less room for water to pass through until finally, little or none can flow through to the end.)

You might want to keep a notebook with you as you move through your day. Write down what actions make the pain worse, what make it feel better. This will be helpful to the doctor in trying to make a diagnosis. Notice what you're doing when you have leg pain, what happens when you sit, walk, lie down, etc. This is much more helpful to the doctor than "It hurts!!"

Good luck, and let us know how the doctor wants to proceed.
  • Two MRIs showed severe stenosis of the cervical and lumbar, 3 herniated discs and 4 bulding discs , 2 bone spurs. It has been ten months now and the pain is getting worse. Lower back pain , buttock pain leg pain. My body gets so ridgid with pain after standing a few minutes. Only relief is to sit and lean forward on a table but that gets tired after a while. Too long in that position and I can't get up. Lying in bed can be just as bad as standing and walking. Off for another series of shots and PT. On top of all this I am in need of 2 knee replacements whic are also causing all sorts of pain because I have had to post pone my cortisone shots due to the spine shots. Plust he fact that the fact that I am alergic to cortisone. I need to take benidryl before and after shots. Any suggestions, sounds like you have been through so much you might have some ideas.
This discussion has been closed.