Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

"Management Team" at hospital??

JeniferJJenifer Posts: 84
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi Everyone!

I feel so blessed and happy to have found this site. You all have made me feel so much better about everything!

Question: I asked my doctor's office about getting a hospital bed in my house after the surgery, because my home is over a 100 years old and has a semi steep staircase with 19 stairs. They said "oh the management team at the hospital can help you with that". What is this "mangement team"? I was also told I would have Visiting Nurses when I went home. I'm wondering :?? what the hospital does for you before you are discharged??

Jen :)))

• I'm glad you found us and that you've received some good help and support here.

I'm not sure about the "Management Team", but I had a PT in the hospital that took me into a big room that had fake everything - fake stairs, a fake car, a fake grocery store, a fake kitchen - just everything. It was really funny. He took me around and had me practice gettig in and out of the car, getting stuff out of the kitching, climbing stairs, getting in and out of the bathtub, etc. Once he was convinced I could do those thing properly on my own, he released me to go home from a PT perspective.

I don't know if that's what your "Management Team" is, but could be.

But let us know what you find out.

• I did not have the whole 'mini world' that Cath had, but they did have a set of stairs for me to do PT up and down on.

Just before I was released from the hospital I had a visit from a home health care person. They set up a home care nurse for me.

At home, the nurse arranged for a physical therapist to come visit me and also arranged the commode and walker rentals that she felt I needed. I think if I needed a bed rental she would have arranged that too.

Good luck
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839
    they are referring to the Case Managers. They are a service department that look after you situation. Each patient can be assigned a case manager who can look after special needs. That would be the situation for you in looking on how to get a hospital bed
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Had fusion and laminectomy on 6/18/04 (Friday)in what is supposed to be one of the "best" sports medicine hospitals in the country. I was lucky that PT even walked me down the hall twice on Monday before I was discharged. I was so nauseated on Sat when they came to get me up that they just left and did not come back until Monday. Meanwhile, the nurses had to make the decision to move me to another floor on Sunday (whether I could get up), let me get up to go to the bathroom after they removed the catheter, etc. Poor management of my case - I guess so.
  • My pt visit consisted of her showing me a few exercises to do in bed,how to log roll.She told me I didn't need pt,and to tell the nurses when I needed to walk.Now granted this is a small hospital connected with the Spine Institute,so I had no doubt all knew what they were doing-but how did she know?I didn't even get out of bed!!!!anyway----I think the question is people at hospitals that take care of things you need when you are discharged.In both surgeries my insurance company took care of the home health care,I had a case nurse that I talked to every week,and she made sure I had everything I needed.No one at the hospital did any of that.
  • In the hospitals here we have social workers that are assigned to each patient. They check on things such as your living arrangements things you will need pending the outcome of your surgery. If your doctor orders special things they will setup with your insurance company those items. While you can get them on your own if they are brought in by a approved vendor of your insurance company then they get paid for pending your doctor ordering them.
  • I would say it would be a good idea to call your insurance company about this. I had a three-level fusion. No one to help me when I got home (I live alone), no hospital bed, no home care nurse, nothing. I asked about things like grabbers and raised toilet seats and was told that would be taken care of by the PTs in the hospital. HA! Nada. So, don't leave this to chance. Set it up before you go. Oh, BTW, I had Blue Cross/Blue Shield -- the one where you don't have to have referrals, etc. -- supposedly great coverage, but I got zip. You will be in no condition to try and get all this stuff afterwards, so do it now.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    When I had my surgery in 1993 it was more extensive than planned and I had to wear a hard brace for about 5 months. The Care Manager had to coordinate my medical insurance (they wanted me out of the hospital) with the need for an evaluation to see if I'd be safe at home. I was single, had a roommate, and they ended up just talking to me. But they said if I got home and there were any problems I could call them and have someone come to my home to do a "safe house assessment". We lived in an old house but my bedroom was on the main floor as was the bathroom and kitchen. Plus my roommate was recently divorced had 2 young kids so in the first few weeks, even at 3 and 5, they could help me with some stuff. She later moved out and I lived alone for a bit but had friends who helped me out and helped me move.

Some insurance companies will help with necessary items such as beds, toilet risers, walkers, etc but the Care/Case Manager at the hospital would have to prove to them you need it. If you can take some pictures of the area of your home you are concerned about and take them with you.

Kind of a cool story......but I hired a small moving company to move me from that house to my new apartment. Usually, as you may know, movers can be uncaring and ignore the person who hired them. I was in my mid 20's and one of them asked why I was wearing a brace, I told them about the surgery. Then after they moved me in they washed up and made my bed! Unpacked critical cooking stuff, clothes and towels for me, etc. I never asked and they couldn't bill for it but I made sure they each got a hefty tip. Even offered to come back if I needed more help!!!!
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • there are nice people out there-that is a cool story
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839
    most larger Hospital Case Managers will do whatever they can to help the patient. Their main focus, their major objective, their job description is to make things easier for the patient.

It could be a financial situation, it could be housing, it could be transportation, etc

I have talked with a number of case managers and you would be very happy to know that their work is geared to helping the patient.

Hospitals, The Staff, The Administrative Depts, The Technical Depts, the Medical Depts including the Nursing staff and more really are they to help patients.

Any Hospital that wants to maintain their level of excellence will make sure that this happens.

I do understand that there are many situations with patients and staff that seem to be going in opposite directions. This is true, it happens. But I really believe the good far out weigh the bad
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • That is funny! I can just picture doing that! Well I have my pre admit testing on Friday, so I will ask then!
    Thanks for replying.
    How are you feeling? I see you had a fusion on the 6th?
  • Well, that is good to know! I was thinking about buying a commode raiser upper thingy, but maybe I will wait.
  • Hmm, well that is interesting. Maybe I will go online to my insurance company and see what I can find out. Also I have pre admit testing on Friday and they told me I will be talking to a nurse, so maybe she will have some answers.
    I have never been to this hospital, but I have only heard good things about it. My fingers are crossed!
  • Well, now I'm definitly not going to buy anything till I hear from the insurance company!
  • yes, I will check this out! I really glad I asked this question now! I almost didn't!
  • that's a great story! See there are great people out there!
  • they gave me one, thank God!!! My wife bought one a day or so before I came home. it sucked, so she took it back. The day I left the staff came up and brought me a walker, back washer, TED hose, gowns, these wierd things that help put on socks(works good), 2' long shoe horn, gauze and adhesive covers, really nice grabber (not just a pincher, but has a magnet, hooks, and adj. clips), wedge pillow, and this really cool 3 layer foam cushion (firm bottom, memory middle, the top looks like acoustic cushion from a studio (i am in love with this cushion). Hey but seriously the riser the hosp. gave me is about 6" tall hollow expanded white plastic w/ a flange that fits in lip of bowl. No handles, but plenty of room to push down on it edge with your hands. So easy to clean.
  • That is great that they gave you all of that stuff! I had my hospital pre op yesterday and the nurse said they would assess and see what I would need before I go home...she was very nice.
    But, I'm still going to call the insurance company on Monday and just see what they say. I don't want to leave anything to chance!
  • I wasnt going to add anything because my needs were very little. But....today I got a survey in the mail asking how my inpatient experience was. I plan on sending it back with a note that I never made it to inpatient since they gave away my room 3 times and discharge from the recovery room was awful.

I would speak with your insurance company to see what they will cover in detail. THen the hospital should send someone to evaluate you before you leave. Make sure what they want to give you is covered or you may get a hefty bill at hospital prices for items that are not covered.
  • Wow, like all kinds of different stories. I am wishing you get it easier than I did. I already listed what they gave me, when we first talked, grabber broke first day. I Still am so happy with the toilet riser they gave me. Unfortunately my heating pad found out how much I love my new cushion from the hospital. I cant prove anything but somebody cut that poor cushion up real bad. She looks like Ms. Frankencusion now, and when she sees the heating pad she goes into panic attacks. I also found a homemade shank in the same area that the pad hangs out in. I would get rid of the pad, but fear retaliation. If I don't write back in the next few days send out the deputy. OK enough playing, I guess your going in next Tue. I know your freaking, hang tough sister. Social workers did nothing except get first Oxycontin for free since I could not get prior approval before discharge. Regular hosp workers brought all my durable medical supplies to room in big yellow bags and went over how to use all. Like someone said earlier it was already approved and paid for with receipts and paperwork. nobody ask me what I needed. I did get 2 PT/occupational visits before discharge. in and out of bed, stairs, and made me walk w/ walker through busy area of hospital, therapist told me to not be a wuss and make people respect me, not stop or change my direction for them. told me to get an a-u-gah bulb horn for walker. Some people are really unaware of how hard you are working that walker, but that horn gets their attention. Because KU had an excuse for everything you could not get anything worked out in a timely manner. You haven't told me if you have a significant other, but you need someone there with you 24/7. They had no private rooms available, you NEED ONE ! If not they throw your significant other out, and what happens until they come back is between you and the overworked nurses(best I could tell each nurse had like way too many patients to be effective). Maybe it's because i am union but there is a line that once you cross it you compromise everybody s safety, for what , a better profit margin? MY IV would not have run out twice if my nurse had time to do her job, plus like i say you have to figure out how to keep your advocate in your room at night. This was the first time I could not get a private room.You are gonna be too high to make or voice opinions, that is why you need a personal advocate that knows you. My wife is the reason I got valium, she told the DR that I look cool, but my brain rpm's are high enough to throw a rod, and I worry about everything.Your advocate has ti insist you get the pain relief you need/want. It hurts, but you don't have to lie there and pray for relief. make them get your pain in control and keep it there. If it hurts and the nurse asks and you say it hurts, but I'll be OK, she is going to give you nothing, and by the time you figure out you screwed up it my take her an hour to get the OK, pick the drug up and get it in you. I had the Foley cath pulled and no one checked me until I had pain the next day, meter said something like 700 ml in bladder, hell I did not know I had to pee, I was high as a kite. You know the thought that somebody could have stopped in and asked if i had peed since the cath came out then I might not of had to endure that straight cath. Come to think of it I went to Kansas with a bunch of one way holes in my body and now they are two ways.

-I hope you do great!
    -I hope you hurt as little as possible!
    -I will be thinking positive thoughts for you!
    -take a blessing from my stash and enjoy.
    -this is all bigger than you'll ever guess!
    -your medical modified friend!
    -norm the factory rat
  • what the heck kind of hospital did you go to??? It sounds like it was almost out of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest!!!
    I had my pre-op last Friday and the nurse was one of the nicest I have met and everyone else there was nice too. Believe you me, this is my 6th surgery and I have had good nurses and bad ones and this hospital that I'm going to has a great reputation, thank God!
    I didn't realize it till today when I was going through the material they gave me at pre-op, that there was a pamphlet entitled "Pain".
    The whole thing was about how they gauge pain levels, what they do for pain, what they expect from you. They want you to tell them and not hold back and not "suck it up". They are keeping me there for 4 days or until the pain is under control. I was always the patient that was out the door as soon as I could be, not this time, I'm staying until they have figured out the right meds. They said that if the first meds don't work, they have a conference with the nurses, doc and patient until they get it right. I was so happy to read all this stuff and after I talked to the nurse.
    I can't believe your IV ran out twice, that is terrible! Thank God your wife was there to get you the meds!
    Yes, I have a hubby, both my kids are grown and my daughter is a RN, but they are in the Marines and stationed on Okinawa and she can't get back till June. My son lives an hour and 1/2 away and his wife is a physicians assistant (cardiac) and she works for Beth Isreal Hosp. in Boston, so they can only visit maybe once, because they both work and have 2 babies! So it's me and my hubby. I will give him a heads up about this in case all the talk is a bunch of b.s. and I get treated like you did! God I hope not!
    So,how is your pain level now that you are home? Are you glad you did it?
    What meds are you on now?
    It is still on for Tuesday , I'm the first case, 7:30 a.m and it is scheduled for 4 hours...I will email if I can the first day, but if not, as soon as I can!
    Thanks for writing and I feel so bad that your hospital was a mess!!!!
  • My surgery is 7am tomorrow and have read all the posts looking for reassurance-which I have found. Feel today like a fragile being but just need to get on with surgery. Just moving in a hopefully better direction will be great. Thank you for all the positive comments. Good Luck to everyone, Hugs n' Loves - Paula
  • After 3 surgeries in 3 different cities and 2 states and being raised in hospitals I kinda got a little feel for how it goes. This procedure was at the University Of Kansas teaching hospital in K.C., KS. Big facility, if you are admitted and get validation you can park for $2 a day. Maybe that is the new thing. We prefer North Kansas City hospital. Free parking, always got private room. never had any problems, 2 kids w/complications NICU for both(let us stay, didn't throw us out), wife had to have a fairly serious female procedure done, no problems. When I.V. would get low and start beeping the nurse usually came to room before we could call. My wife was not at K.U to help me because they kicked her out from 8:30 pm - 11am. So she did not get to talk with my DRs either as they were gone by 11am. I came in on a Wednesday, so I lost most of my nurses by Saturday. I had a few that we're angels! The first one was quite upset at my condition, but she does not make calls she just does what the DR says. I will not say her name but she gave me extra meds and went up the chain and got me 2 other drugs that kept me going. I am getting that woman something as soon as I'm up and around. Not sure, but I think she could have lost her job for what she did for me. We(surgeon, anesthesiologist an i )discussed the tolerance problems pre surgery in waiting area on gurney. Surgeon told my wife that during the procedure they could tell from my vitals that I was in pain and not getting what I needed(but nothing was adjusted or changed). It was the surgeons resident that changed my drugs on the third day(first day surgeon was off) to dilaudid . I tell you now that I wanted to die before the dilaudid. Sister it was bad, I don't know how else to say it. That is why it is so important to me. I don't know you. Life is suffering, but I do not want you to have to go through this. My mother came up to help with kids, but my wife told her something was wrong at hospital and got her to come up while kids were in school.I am glad she did. She's been a RN for over 30 years done everything from administration to ER. She found the charge nurse and some others and had a discussion that I was not privy to. Things changed after that. Until the catheter deal. Took out my Foley, I'm in a semiconscious state and nobody ask me if I need to pee, just waited till I swelled up and started complaining about pain. Put some meter on my belly and lo and behold i have @700ml of piss in me. Wife had to call them in for this. my wife wants to stay to make sure I am ok, but nurse refuses to do straight cath till she leaves( I thought my wife was about to physically whup her butt) nurse said she could leave or I o=could suffer longer ,or she would have my wife removed from building. When I saw your already taking dilaudid I got scared for you. So I went to a large inner city hospital because that is where the spine clinic is located. I had reservations as did my wife and others.
  • Good luck,Paula!We will be thinking of you---prayers and good vibes coming your way!Jeannie
  • wow, so you were at a teaching hospital..thank goodness your wife is a RN! She must have had some really good things to say during that conversation. I went to nursing school (but had to quit one and 1/2 semesters before graduation because of my first *f*&&^^* back surgery which just about wrecked my life's dream...but anyway....I'm glad I have that background and I also can stand up for myself so I will be getting the pain meds I need. My hubby has no medical knowledge and just about has a heart attack over a hangnail, so other than loving me, and that does count for a lot, he is not going to be much help if I need for someone to insist on something, lol!
    So, you didn't answer me...
    Would you do it again?
    How is your pain now?
    And what meds are you taking now and are they working?
    p.s. you don't look old enough in your picture to have a wife that has been an RN for 30 years! or did I get something mixed up?
  • I will be thinking of you tomorrow and you are in my prayers!
    Try to get some sleep and let us know how you are, when you can!