Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Nerve damages

payoppayo Posts: 63
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hi everybody.I have a question about nerve damage
How do I know if I have nerve damage.what are the symtoms.
Are nerve damage permanent or temporary

• You have asked the most perplexing question pertaining to the spine. It is almost impossible to predict if nerve pain will become permanent or not. Sometimes it is clear cut, but usually a doctor can only offer statistical data and a "wait and see" comment.

Damage depends on how long a nerve has been compressed, although some people have nerve pain a very short time and end up with permanent damage. No doctor can tell you with certainty if a nerve will recover. They can tell you that it takes a very long time for a nerve to regenerate and recovery will start closest to the spine and work its way out.

I don't know much about cervical nerve damage, but in most ways it is similar to lumbar damage. Symptoms of nerve pain are the various sensations that you get in your extremeties, variously described as burning, searing, tingling, creepy-crawly, etc. This is not considered a problem. When muscle weakness and/or a feeling of numbness set in, then you begin to worry about damage. "Foot flop" is a symptom of nerve damage as is numb toes.

I'm posting a link to a good article pertaining to lumbar nerve pain. There are others on cervical pain, if that is your concern.

If you have had surgery and continue to have nerve pain, it may or may not be permanent. Nerves are very sensitive and do not like to be touched, tugged or manipulated in any way. If disturbed, they usually will let you know. This sort of pain usually will go away as the nerve calms down, inflammation recedes, the body's chemistry returns to normal, etc. but it often happens very slowly...nerves can take up to a year, sometimes even longer, to heal.

If a nerve has suffered permanent damage there is not currently much that can be done to restore it to proper function.

Hope this information helps a little bit.

• Nerve damage can have numerous causes and numerous symptoms. Some damage can with time and assistance heal itself, some cannot. Depending on which part of your nervous system is involved, will determine the symptoms and potential causes. Some common symptoms are
    *Muscle Atrophy

• Gwennie . Thank you for all your help.
    The link that you sent me was very helpful
    I'm just having a very hard time with pain after my
    two fusion surgerys. I hope one day I;ll get better, I'm a mess

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,837
    Some much depends on what type of surgery and if there was any disc impingement on a nerve root.

Nerve pain can last a long time. For some folks, it might be 10 to 12 months .

Posters aboved provided valuable information about what nerve damage is and how pain fuli it can be.

This article from Spine-Health Nerve Pain should be helpful

The EMG Test EMG is the primary test to determine the extent of any nerve damage

Hope this helps
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • u will fell that ur face leg or hands are numb
This discussion has been closed.