Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Is there any help while you wait for SSI?

IvorymoonIIvorymoon Posts: 44
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Health Insurance Issues
Does anyone know if there are any resources or assistance while you wait for your SSI disability decision? I am in quite a bind.... being single, having no family left, and no savings or income.... I am close to losing my apartment, quite often I do not have enough gas to get to my doctor appointments. I try to find part time work here and there, but I always end up unable to do the job because of my health issues and my back problem (two herniated disks, both disks are now gone....DDD, and arthritis). I get some limited assistance from the county (with rent), but in turn they expect me to pay them back on a monthly basis (they help me with my rent only), and if I do not pay them I will lose all assistance from them. The county does not seem to care that I have health issues. I am about at the end of my rope....
There has to be other people out there in my situation.....what do they do, do they end up homeless too? I am almost to that point, as I would have no where to go. Right now I am barely hanging on, but at risk of losing my phone and internet.... my doctor did get my phone company to not disconnect me due to my health issues, altho I am not sure how long that will last. Is this an issue that I should inform SSI about, or not? I wondered if they have any kind of services or resources for people who seem to fall thru the cracks and who are waiting on a disability decision. And I do not even want to think about what will happen if I get denied a second time......

• I would definatly contact your local welfare office. If you have no income at all then I'm sure you would qualify for food stamps and cash assistance, possible even Medicaid. AS for telling SSDI about this, I think I have read somewhere that they can expedite your case if you are in dire need. I'm sure someone else here will answer you with more knowlege of that though. Good luck!
  • Thanks, that is good to know, I will let SSI know what is going on with me.

I have already contacted Human Services, but they can't do much of anything other than food stamps and some rental assistance. But what people do not realize is, if I get rental assistance, and I am, I have to make a monthly payment starting NOW and I have to pay the county on time or lose ALL my assistance....but with no income how am I able to pay the county back..... the system here is all screwed up where I live..... And I have applied all over for medical assistance and have not been able to get any. I will call SSI and see what they say.
  • If you are able to pay them back, you wouldn't need the assistance, right? Or do you pay them at a much reduced rate? (the SYSTEM; not you....)

When I worked for the disability office, I used to tell my claimants to check with their local church; of course there are numerous programs through local government for families in dire need.

As a claims adjudicator, the only claims who received priority were Terminal cases, claims over 300 days old and then claims over 200 days old. In that order.

In my state, the "state agencies" were given a directory of all state agencies (gosh - i know that was extrememly redundant...). I always had one and would actually take the time to look up various agencies for my claimants who needed them.

You could also check with the local United Way (here in Louisiana that number is 211... it may be a universal number - the same everywhere much like 411 and/or 911, I'm not sure); if you have children there is the Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC); food stamps; etc.

Best of luck to you, hon.