Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spinal Stenosis, #2

teacher36870tteacher36870 Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Spinal Stenosis
I made an appt to see my former orthopedic surgeon when I started having what I believe to be sciatic pain down my left leg again afater a laminectomy, fusion at L4-L5 in June of 2004. He said that he would not do any diagnostic testing (MRI) until I come to him to "fix it." I just want to know what is going on, not have surgery again for the second time. I am consideirng approaching my PCP for aN MRI for a diagnosis so that I can decide if conservative care is an option. It scares me to think of undergoing all that horrible, drawn-out pain again so soon. Do doctors realize how ba it really is?

• I understand your desire to have an MRI or some test to definitively diagnose your symptoms. But, like you, I was told there would be no MRI unless surgery was anticipated. It was explained to me more diplomatically, though! I have symptoms of lumbar stenosis (2 previous lumbar herniations suspected) but instead of an MRI they did a plain x-ray of my back right there in the ortho's office and discovered lumbar scoliosis (degenerative). I was sent for orthopedic PT and told the therapist I had wanted an MRI to diagnose what all was actually going on in my back but that my ortho's office wouldn't order it. He said that the insurance companies consider that kind of MRI a matter of curiosity rather than necessity. Until a person is in pain or disability that cannot be relieved by non-invasive forms of treatment, they will not approve payment for MRI. So, for now, I do my exercises and maybe I'll get better instead of worse. ;)

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,848
    they have. They are not out there to make matters worse for you. All it takes is two way communications. You work with your doctor and they will work with you.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Maybe you could ask your Current PCP to request the MRI report for his records.

Then, when he gets the report, ask for a copy of it.

Bottom line - these are YOUR medical records and you are allowed to have it.