Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Prolapsed Discs

BarMcBBarMc Posts: 24
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Lower Back Pain
I've had four spinal surgeries in the past - two in my lumber with the final being the ALFI and two in my cervical.I now have prolapses above the last surgery in my lumber which keeps slipping and leaves me bent until it settles again - I've also a prolapse in my thoracic but as I am quite well endowed this does not help this and the pain can be awful and I have another prolapse in my cervical underneath my last fusion which gives me pain down my arm and in between my shoulder blades and to top it all I know have a burning pain on the outside of my left knee.

I've seen a couple of surgeons but no-one has come up with the best option other than total fusion of my spine. Would love to hear from anyone with similar problems and if so what you are doing or have had done to help it or any ideas on how I can deal with this awful pain. I am totally drained. Thanks

• Some women have breast reduction surgery to help with thoracic pain. Sometimes fusing the lumbar area provides sufficient stability that the rest of the spine goes back into proper alignment. With strengthening and conditioning it might be enough to hold the discs in place enough that they are not causing pain.

I can see why you do not want to have the whole spine fused. That comes with its own set of problems. Maybe if you can hold off for awhile longer, some of the new technologies will provide a solution other than total fusion.
This discussion has been closed.