Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

insurance woes

cinhooccinhoo Posts: 27
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Health Insurance Issues
my hours are being cut to half time, i will have get cobra
which is 500 dollars a month, i want to look into getting
insurance for a lower price. i was wondering if any of you
know of any insurance that will take a person who has a
spinal cord stim.i live in northern calif.
i would like your ideas.
thanks in advance

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Under recent COBRA legislation you may be able to pay less than your normal COBRA amount. This applies for anyone who has his/her medical insurance cut due to no fault of their own.

To be blatant, if you have any current medical problems you will be unable to find individual insurance as you will have to divulge all medical treatment, doctors, pharmacies, medications, etc for a certain time period (often for the last 5-10 years).

In group insurance, such as under an employer, every employee pays premium into the "pool" of the entire employer. Many will never use insurance and there are others that will have large medical bills. But the users are offset by the non users. This is also why employees of large corporations often pay less premium that those at smaller companies. So in a large corporation maybe they take in $600,000 in premiums a month but pay out $450,000 in claims in most months (just a random example as every employer is different).

In individual insurance, you are covering your own potential medical costs. The insurance company can't pull from a pool of premiums to pay for your medical needs. So they can't accept someone at $300/mo premium if the medical information received and reviewed shows that large claims could occur and/or the person is already medically spending $400/mo (for example). Again, let's say they take on someone with diabetes and let them pay $300/mo in premium but next month that person needs to start dialysis. Medications, appointments, and dialysis cost in excess of $600/mo. Now for every $300 they take in they pay out $600. They loose and eventually go out of business.

COBRA is usually the best bet unless you are healthy and have no recent medical treatment, medications, diagnoses, appointments, etc

Here is the link to the Dept of Labor site on the COBRA Continuation Coverage Assistance.

Normally my husband would have to pay around $600/mo for COBRA. However, he was laid off and thus under the new legislation he pays $150/mo for 15 months.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos