Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

shark bite on my bum!

MackenzieMMackenzie Posts: 76
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
Hello all,
I am new to posting but not reading posts on your forum. I am 13 days post op permanent implant - 3 leads at t8 for LBP, hip and thigh pain x 4 years. I am getting great stimulation and have in the last two weeks slept for 7 and 8 hour stretches. Truly remarkable for me.

I am fortunate enough to be able to work from home but don't want to abuse my employers good graces. When does the hip incision stop burning/hurting? How long does it take cyborgs to meld with their metal? I can work for hours if I'm laying flat, but ask me to sit up for an equal length of time, and I can't yet do it.

Thanks for any input-

• Everyone is different in their healing so don't quote me on this but the burning and stinging of the IPG went away about 2 weeks after implantation. It really is normal as I asked my doctor about it. He told me it was a good thing...so don't worry about it. Take all the time you need because you sure don't want to jump back into work to quick and have to go back for more surgery. I am sure your boss understands...and if you haven't abused him before and continue with your work at home at the usual pace...I am sure he will work with you. Very nice of your boss to allow you to do that. Wish we all had bosses like that!!!!!
  • I noticed a big improvement between week 2 and 3, slower improvement later on, bit by bit.

With 3 leads at T8 I would be very surprised if your surgeon releases you anytime soon. I was told no, absolutely not, even for desk duty! They did not want me looking up and down and turning my head from side to side to do paperwork, computer work etc,

I had to promise to be careful and not use the building stairs at 6 weeks when he gave me the limited release.

I know it is hard now, but DO NOT rush this. LET THINGS HEAL! You know how it feels now, think what it would be like to have to start over!

Take your time and ease back into it.

As for burning, well, that my friend may be your new friend. Not like now, but with lots of walking, climbing stairs etc, the pocket will tend to burn even after many months out. Not to bad, just an annoyance, ice pack and taking it easy for a few days calms it down.

Also, if you get the burn up where your leads are inserted and anchored it means slow down and be careful!

It's all new so just take it easy. no matter how hard that can be to do!
  • for your candor. I know that I have a tendency to want to run before I can even crawl. That has been the case with every nerve block, rhizotomy, and epidural I've ever had (n=11 so far). Feeling stimulation is deceptive. I feel somewhat better but am probably more fragile than ever.

I have been on a Fentanyl patch with up to 4 oxicodone for BT for the last year and a half. I am being encouraged to stretch the Fentanyl out a fourth or fifth day to kick it. Not sure how confident I am this will work, but my usual oxi dose now nauseates me something terrible. Phenergen doesn't even relieve the nausea. Puking right now, esp. the driving the porcelain bus position, seems like a bad idea given lead placement, so I am breaking pills in half.

Sweet dreams-
  • Everyone's experience is different. With all that swelling in my hip at first, I really didn't experience a whole lot of pain except when sitting in the same position for too long. Once the swelling subsided, that's when I began really having hip pain. I am 9 weeks out now and have found that I must get up and move around every 30 minutes or so. Sitting still, especially in the car or in a hard chair/bench seems to be the worst as far as the hip pain goes.
    My neurosurgeon and pain management doctors suggested I wait at least 4 weeks before returning to work and it ended up being 6 weeks before I went back. Like you, I was able to work from home, so I really had very little down time as far as work goes. Just don't over do! I am still easing back into normal activity because I find that I have much less discomfort in my hip and in my cervical area if I don't try to do too much for too long. I am in hopes that physical therapy is going to give me some much needed stamina and strength. I know it will take a while, but hope in time to regain what has been lost over the last 3 years.
    Good luck to you!
  • I too am trying to wean down the Fentanyl patches as my permanent implant date approaches. Are you on the lowest dose? At one point i was on the 100's, but was having too many pain spikes on that high of dose,so am now on the 50's and it keeps me much more evened out. I have found that taking muscle relaxer or Xanax (Very small doses!) helps tremendously with the pain levels to where i am able to spread the patches out longer. Soon i hope to get down to the Fentanyl 20's, then 12's. Also, instead of the stronger BT meds, i started taking lower doses of Lortab instead of Oxy.
    Good Luck