Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Has anyone taken Neurontin for the nerve pain? (ACDF in 3 weeks)

TatiyanaTTatiyana Posts: 194
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I am scheduled for an ACDF at C6/7 in 3 weeks due to a herniation & pinched nerve and I also suffer from Fibromyalgia pain. The Dr. put me on Neurontin this week & it has me feeling a little weird. Anyone have any experience with this medication good or bad?

• I have been taking it for about 3 weeks for nerve pain post lumbar fusion of L4-L5. It helps a bit but I am very tired and feel rather out of it. I am not taking that much, 300 mg morning. noon and night. I remember you from your previous posts regarding your lumbar fusion. How have you been? Was it sucessful?
  • Good Memory :) yes, I would say my lumbar fusion was very successful...my back pain that was due to the herniation is almost gone. I still have to baby it at times & I have alot of tailbone pain that they can't explain but all in all I am glad I had the surgery.

Unfortunately about 6 months after my back surgery, my cervical herniation flared up, so I am scheduled to have it fused in 3 weeks. :SS

My Dr is trying to calm down the nerve pain and has me on the same dosage of Neurontin as you. My first dose was today. I just feel so dizzy and out of it 8} that I was hoping it was just a temporary side effect.
    Do you feel it is helping with the pain?

• So sorry you're heading for a second fusion! I hope it's successful and you're soon out of pain!

I've been on Neurontin for a few months, due to fibromyalgia pain. I was on it several years ago, as well, but stopped it, as I was on so many different meds that I couldn't keep track of them.

The first couple days, I took a nap every time I took a dose of it. It made me very tired, dizzy, and completely "goofy". I felt a bit odd and wouldn't drive for the first 2 weeks, but once I got adjusted to the meds, I don't have those side effects any more. I'm currently on 300 mgs, 3x/day, and it's helping. He'll probably jack me up a bit more at my next appointment, but all in all, I've had pretty decent results with it.

Is it helping with your nerve pain? If so, then try to stick it out. It may take a couple weeks for the full effects to be noticeable. I've noticed a definite decrease in my nerve pain since I started back on it this time.

Good luck, and keep us posted on how you're doing!
  • You can find a lot more threads regarding this medicine in the medication forum. It is a rather common med used for nerve pain. So just in case you don't get enough responses here might want to check out those threads.
  • I took it before and for a while after my cervical surgery.I was taking eight 300mg. a day before the surgery. My body got used to it after a while and i didn't really feel the tired effects.They will go away after a while as your body gets used to the medication. I started taking it again after the car accident for nerve pain.But now i'm only taking three a day , morning,afternoon and night.I'm getting the whoo hoo feeling again but i'm sure that will go away as i continue to take it.