Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone know anything about Ablation surgery?

IvorymoonIIvorymoon Posts: 44
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I hope I've got the name correct, I do know it was some type of ablation done on the back, in this case my doctor and I were discussing my lumbar spine and treatment for my DDD, disks that are now gone (history of herniated disks), and facet arthritis, and spinal stenosis. I will have to talk to him about it again.... but in the meantime I thought I'd post on here.

But, has anyone ever had this? Or does anyone know anything about this? Thanks!

• Welcome to Spine-Health. :H

I believe there are a few members who have had this done, but I can't recall if it was in the lumbar region or the cervical region.

If you type in the word "Ablation" in the search box (located at the top of this page), it should bring up others who have posted about this procedure.

Good luck to you and once again, welcome!

• Thanks, will do some research on it.

I have heard of radiofrequency ablation before, in fact I actually had it done on my heart about 10 years ago for a rapid heart arrhythmia I had, it cured my arrhythmia for the most part, or the worst part of it anyway.

Was curious about how it is done regarding the back and spine and how it has turned out for others....
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    RFA in the spine is relatively easy and is much like what an Epidural Steroid Injection is. Mine was performed in the same treatment room where they did my ESI and I had two RFA. One in the L5 and one in the SI joint. It hurts a wee bit more during and after (not too much more) and since they gave me versed and fentanyl during the procedure I was awake but not really aware). Most RFA are done this way though I have heard of some done more in a surgical way (small incision).
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos