Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

6 week PO Foot Drop and LBP

RFLO1RRFLO1 Posts: 23
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone, I hope you are all doing well. I had an L4-L5 PLIF 6 weeks ago. The NS did not fuse L5-S1 as he said it had auto-fused. My surgery was for severe stenosis at L4-L5. I woke up and had severe numbness in left foot and right big toe. I also could not lift(dorsiflex) my left foot. I went back for post surgery check up at 3 weeks and incision looked well. However, last Thursday I woke up with severe low back pain. I stayed in bed for most of 2 days. I feel somewhat better today, however, my foot pain at the ankle joint hurts pretty bad when walking. I have made an appt with NS for tomorrow. I am wondering if my low back pain is due to the limping I have due to the foot drop. Should I ask NS for an EMG tomorrow? I am concerned that the numbness/pain in foot has not gotten better and may result in permanent nerve damage? I ask because I have read that nerve damage can become permanent after 6 weeks. Thanks for everyone's replies. you guys are wonderful. I would also like to say I have found a new love and admiration for my wife as she has been an angel from above during this whole process. I am surely blessed!

• I had my l4-s1 TLIF on 8/31/09 and a bone spur removed on 12/4/09, I still cannot lift my left foot and have numbness and tingling/burning/stabbing pains that began the day after 1st surgery. I go tomorrow for my first EMG and nerve conduction test, I am a little nervous about the needles. :)
    I have had the severe low back pain since my second surgery and joint pain in the ankle's (left worse then right) many of my left sided symptoms are beginning to show up on the right, but milder.
    Today for the first time when I stepped on the tile in the bathroom, i actually felt pain on the bottoms of my toes on the left foot, I don't have any idea what that means if anything, but hopefully I will get some answers after tomorrows testing.
    Good luck to you,
    God bless and keep You,
  • Good luck with your EMG today, let me know how it goes. I have had several done in the past. The trick is not to watch them stick the needles in. I also believe it is a very subjective test that depends upon the skill of the technician. I have a 1:30 appt with my neurosurgeon today. Hopefully it's nothing serious.