Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

A decision has been made

IvorymoonIIvorymoon Posts: 44
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Health Insurance Issues
I just found out a decision has been made regarding my disability claim. This is my second time trying for it. I hope I get good news, and I hope it doesn't take too long for me to get the letter in the mail. I'll be checking my mailbox very carefully now that's for sure!

• Would they tell me over the phone if I called them? I am about ready to have a stroke....
  • This is to protect your privacy.

You don't want your neighbors to be able to call and get this information, right?

Also, once a decision is made, it is checked by other departments to be sure the correct decision was made. They could get in alot of trouble if they told you what the decision is, only to have the Quality Assurance department find errors on their decision....

I know, I know - it's hard, but "be patient just a little bit longer..."

• LOL..... how could the neighbors call and get my info? They wouldn't have my private info (I used to work in healthcare, so HIPAA is a huge thing and I realize that). I just misunderstood what Paul was saying I guess.... I thought there was perhaps a way to find out, same way as you find out other personal information with other things (such as medical records, etc). Well, the wait is on. I spoke with my caseworker, he told me I should have it within a week. Whew....gonna be a long week.... lol.
  • Good point! Good things come to those who wait!
    That is going to be my new mantra.
  • We will be keeping our fingers crossed that this will bring you good news!!
    Please update us!!

Cheers :H
    Patsy W
  • Thanks Patsy, I'm on pins and needles.....lol.
  • My attorney just called me.....he received the letter before I did. I was denied. Again.

I don't know what to do now, it will be a year before I can go before the judge, and I will be homeless way before that. And no, I have no family or relatives left that I could get help from. I feel like giving up.
  • Did your attorney say why you were denied?

Here is a really good site.

It helped my son get his disability. The lawyer had him write a "Dire Need " letter to the judge and it pushed it along much faster. He couldn't pay his bills and lost his house but he is doing much better now.

He had tons of paperwork from his doctors and MRI reports and was also being treated for Depression which I think helps in SSD cases.

Don't give up!

Peggy x
  • The way my attorney talked he said it was pretty common to get turned down before you go before the admin. law judge (and I haven't done that yet). He didn't tell me why I was turned down tho, as I imagine I will be receiving my own denial letter in the mail today so I can read it myself. I did mention being near eviction, and going to be losing my phone, etc. SO my attorney told me to let him know if that gets to the point where it is bad and he will write soc. sec. a letter, but he didn't seem to think that would help. I sure hope my attorney knows what he's doing.....
  • I am so sorry to hear about your struggles right now.

I would have your attorney write the letter now, due to your financial distress.

Please continue to call around to various shelters in your area, so you have some kind of back-up relief.

Are you getting any kind of assistance from the state?

Has your attorney given you any numbers to call for assistance? I would think he/she would have numbers and places available for you to call. There are others in similar situations as you are.

I wish you the best,

• Hi Tammy, thank you for all the good suggestions.
    I am currently getting rental assistance from the county, but soon I may be faced with paying more from my own pocket as a result of my landlord raising the rent (great timing). I do contact the county agencies quite often to see what else is out there for me, and currently my doctor has written a letter to my phone company requesting that they at least not shut off my local phone (I have passed out due to my IBS in the past).

Good idea about asking the attorney to write that letter now.... I am going to call him today about that very thing.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    As long as you have an attorney, do you think he'd write a letter to your state congressman or representative asking for assistance for you. Maybe having someone in the rep's office help get you to state aid, etc.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Good idea..... I have been considering talking to my disability lawyer about that as well. In fact I talked to my attorney again today, but he said that unless I had an actual written eviction notice from my landlord it wouldn't do any good.... I told him I got a written threat stating possible eviction from my landlord, so my attorney told me in that case he would do it.... so, well, I will see if I can dig up that letter and I'll send it off to my attorney. He seemed a bit reluctant to do it though, his reply was "there are hundreds of people out there just like you".... I reminded him that most of them probably at least have family that they could go live with or help them out if need be, and that I do not.... Dang.
    My hubby and I have talked about if my LTD were to end and I didn't have SSDI, and he still didn't have a job here then we'd just sell off what we have and move to Michigan. Living with my parents would NOT be fun but at least we have family we can run to and my parents are renting a very large home so they'd open the door to us if it came to that. Then we'd sell our house here, and although the market is bad here we'd get at least some money. The bad part.....the job market in Michigan is worse than Arizona so moving there would be a last resort.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • It's always good to have a plan. My problem is, both my parents have passed away.... after the sale of my parent's house my one and only sibling took off with all the money and she is out in Colorado, she took my share of what should have been mine according to the Will, and now I am stuck here with these health issues.... I have one elderly aunt and uncle left, they live about 3 hours away tho and can't help me out, she has many health issues of her own..... no one has heard from my nasty sister. So, I have no back-up plan as I have no where to go. A friend in MN offered to let me stay with her if I needed to, but I hope it doesn't come to that. So now I wait to go before the ALJ, may be about a year before I can do that tho, according to my attorney. In the meantime I am trying to hang in there..... I may be losing my internet tho.....just cannot afford it right now.... so if I disappear for a bit, that is why....
  • So sorry things did not go your way. Do not give up....where there is a will, there is a way!!
    Have you tried for SSI? I would give it a shot. As I understand it, it is easier to get than SSD. Expecially at your age. Your Lawyer can help you with it.
    Best of luck to you.
    Patsy W
    If you get an SS attorney see if he can help you find someone to assist you in suing your sister. If there was a valid will then she violated it by taking all of the funds. You'd have to weigh the cost of an attorney given what you'd be entitled to if you could successfully sue your sister. No one should have given her access to any funds until after the will was reviewed and validated.