Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New PM Dr. Difference between facet blocks or facet injections?

charryccharry Posts: 5,657
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Pain Management
I'm going for my third opinion PM Dr. and I heard they do facet joint blocks. Are they different from facet joint injections? Just wondering... I've had hundreds of injections including triggers and hoping I will get some relief from this PM Dr. I don't know if I can handle many more injections. Wish me luck February 1st is my appointment. Charry
DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN

• I hope your appointment goes well.

I have never had any kind of injections like these, so I really can't comment on that part.

I was wondering how you are doing with the Oxycontin? If I'm reading your signature line correctly, this is a new medication for you? I hope it is working well and providing you good relief.

Take good care,

• The main difference between the two procedures is just that the fact block has one more step to it. A numbing agent will be added to the steroid medication. You will be asked to keep a record of your pain, or relief from pain. The idea is that the doctor puts in the numbing agent at a particular segment. Instead of going home and resting, you will be asked to go about daily activities, walk and do what normally causes your pain. If you come away from the appointment with little or no pain, and it remains that way while you are more active, they assume that they have found the pain generator (or one of them as may be the case!). The numbing agent lasts for a number of hours and then gradually fades away and the pain returns. Make note of when that happens.

If you are numbed up and you continue to have pain when doing the movements that normally cause "your" pain, then they know that the facet they injected is not the pain generator.

As far as the process, you would not notice a difference between the two procedures.

Hope this helps...and I hope the new doc will be able to help you.

• Sounds like you will do well since you have had lots of other injections, hope this one takes away your pain.

If Gwennie is reading this maybe she can help answer this or someone else, I had a nerve root block injection yesterday and I have had other injections and I always seem worse for the first day or so before I feel relief, you may have found this true also charry, however my shot yesterday left me pain free without the initial pain but he only used the lidocain, no steroid (he was experimenting on me) so can I assume, and others too, that its the steroid that acts as an irritant when you first get one of these injections??

Reading this post made me think of how different the two shots felt, they usually make me worse before I feel better, but this was different!! (interesting).

Charry good luck, I hope you don't get any pain, just elief, take care,

• I imagine it is because yesterday you only had the numbing agent. You felt numb afterward and you did not have the steroid medication.

It may be that the steroid part of the injection is irritating to the nerve or to other soft tissue. You may have some internal swelling around the injection site which further compresses the nerve, thus resulting in more pain.

I've had all kinds of injections and nerve blocks this past year as we tried to figure out what was causing the S1 radiculopathy. Part way through, I switched doctors that administer the injections. Interestingly, the results I am getting from the new doctor are much, much more intense, and so are the results.

I hardly had any reaction when I had ESIs or nerve blocks with doctor #1. I have had varying reactions with doctor #2, but I have always had a response, feeling somewhat better for a bit. The procedure itself causes more pain when doctor #2 does it. Perhaps his placement is just more accurate? He definitely hits the bulls-eye so to speak...I know because I am wide awake!!

Perhaps this reaction to the steroid may tie in with the reaction you had with the myelogram. You may just be very sensitive to some ingredient that is used in preparing the dye or the steroid. Maybe there is a common ingredient? I believe there is an ingredient that is used to make the liquid flow better...I'm just speculating...I really don't know.

Why don't you ask your doctor next time if there is any relationship? Does your surgeon do your injections?
  • I'm even ready as it's been a year since I've had any injections I'll go for more.. :< Tammy I just started Oxycontin 120mg 3x40mg day and the first two days I only had 80mg and it made me sleepy. Some improvement with this pain medication as well as trying voltaren as an anti-inflammatory. I can't wait for my appointment on Monday and maybe get some relief from this PM Dr. I was hoping for some miracle to get better to go back to work February 12th but don't think it's going to happen. I emailed my Boss and she said a lot of changes at work and 3 of my coworkers are retiring. I wish I could help them out and get back there even for light duty but there's no such thing there. I can't work taking narcotics and there's no position as Receptionist or anything although that would be something I would consider doing even at a Doctor's office. Sandra I hope you get lasting relief with your ESI, reading your post gave me a little hope that I should get more ESI's. Take care and thanks for the support. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN