Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

EMG nerve conduction study is done.

mommatialuvmmommatialuv Posts: 269
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well, I had my tests today, "how was it" well like I told my hubby, it wasn't horrible, but if they were giving away free tickets, you wouldn't find me in line :) Given the choice, I would skip it next time, that being said, the neurologist said he would run the numbers and give my surgeon a call probably tomorrow. His preliminary findings are nerve root "irritation" (no apparent demyliation(sp)of the nerve) at l5 and s1 slightly worse on the left then the right.
So it is still "coming from the spine". He also said that just because there was no "damage/irritation" found at other levels does not mean that there are not symptoms at those levels, just that the prognosis for healing would be better.
He feels it is radicular(sp) rather then neuropathy.
I have to call my surgeon tomorrow for my follow up appt or instructions.
On a side note, I have been having a lot of headaches/neck pain lately, is this common after lumbar surgery?
Thanks for the support,
I hope you all are healing or preparing peacefully.
God Bless and keep You,

• glad that your EMG is over now and sounds like it wasn't too bad. Let's hope that they get some useful information from it that helps them know how to deal with it.

I wonder if headaches and neck pain are common alongside lumbar problems. I haven't had surgery but have started to get lots of neck pain and headaches. I seem to quite often wake up either in the night or in the morning with a headache.

God Bless and keep You Shirley.
  • Howdy Shirley,

No lower back surgery here yet, but my guess? I know when my lower back has fits, I sit, stand, bend etc. differently. That changes your posture of the whole spine, and probably is enough of an irritant to give you headaches - again, my guess.

Since you will probably see your surgeon soon, see what he says of course. Hopefully that is all it is. Glad to hear it isn't looking real bad for the nerves. Have a good one!!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Great that it's over. Looks like he determined some
    things. It will be interesting to hear what your surgeon has to say about all this. I get headaches at times but I think mine are from stress. It comes from dealing with pain everyday. Neck and shoulder muscles feel tense.
  • Glad you survived! My tests showed chronic radiculopathy at S1, worse on right than left. We should get together...that way we might have a functioning body! @)

If you are taking medications, the headache could also come from that source. But it probably is tension in the muscles that you are using to brace the upper part of your body to compensate for the pain you feel from the lumbar and leg area.

Let us know what the surgery has to report.

As you are beginning to see, there are answers out there for you. You just have to keep plugging away. They are taking longer to find than you would have preferred. But do not give up or get discouraged. You are one step closer to finding the answers.

• Glad your test is over!!! Hang in there,I know it is hard.It sounds like you feel good about how the day went.We are here!
  • EMGs aren't my favorite thing either, but I'm glad that yours revealed something. I had 2 done before my surgery that revealed nothing and yet I was in incredible pain before surgery!

Headaches....I have them too but I had cervical surgery not lumbar. I do however have ridiculous lower back pain and tensing up to avoid that area causes pain in other areas, so that might just be it. In my case, though I'm getting trap (shoulder) muscle spasms, hence the flexeril. those have been giving me headaches too.

We'll all be well soon....its just the process that is absolutely NOT FUN!!!!! I hope you feel better soon!!!!!

• Thank you all for your kind words and support. I do feel good about the test and am anxious to see how my surgeon interprets the report.
    Jelly My headaches are usually in the morning also, they sometimes get better but sometimes give migraine type symptoms as the day progresses (nausea, light sensitivity etc)
    Yes Brenda I am hoping whatever is irritating the nerve roots can be "repaired" and I can get some relief, I also still use a walker, being tall I wonder if using it isn't putting more stress on my shoulders and upper back/neck. that an of course the stress thenade mentioned doesn't help I'm sure.
    Gwennie, maybe we could do a 3 legged race and attach the bad sides, then if they give out we could lean on each other and still win :) :)
    Thanks again everyone for the support, I couldn't do it without ya'll :) .
    God bless and keep You,
  • shirley-I have shoulder,neck,headaches,and I have been wondering if it is because unconsciencely I tense up when I walk/move--still nervous and unsteady after the fusion.I would love to hear anyone's ideas on how to relax these muscles!
  • I have one word for you.......FLEXERIL!!!!!

Just kidding. I haven't figured that one out yet either, so I'm open to hear the wisdom of the necky's and spineys out there.....

• I just wanted to apologize for forgetting your name yesterday, you have been so kind to me with PM's and everything.
    My memory is not what it used to be, if it makes you feel any better I forgot my zip code yesterday at the Dr. office, I had to wait until the receptionist returned my ID, and I have had the same address for almost 7 1/2 years now.
    Of course I'm not sure if I can blame it on my back surgery, I'm not getting any younger you know :)
    God bless and keep You all,