Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

T-Minus 8 Days and counting.. what to do?

scmgurusscmguru Posts: 103
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I'm in the home stretch before my L5S1 MicroD..

I went off of ALL anti-inflammatories a week ago.. and it's been miserable.

For the few days before I stopped the meds, I thought, do I REALLY need to do this? I felt a lot better.. Then it happened.

About 3 days after stopping the meds, I realized I've GOT to do this.. I haven't had this much nerve pain EVER... It's just NUTS.

The bottoms of my feet keep feeling like someone is dumping hot and cold water on them.. and my lower back is really sore..

Then, there's the pins and needles.. they've never been worse..

Before, I had really faint, tiny, diffuse, almost "high frequency" tingling.. Now, the tingling has become much more intense and the hot and cold seems to intensify all of it.

Not sure how I'm going to make it through another 8 days.. My normal extension exercises which usually centralize this out of my legs hurt and for the most part aren't working.

8 more days..

• scm-the last week is the toughest,but before you know it,you will be in the recovery room!!!!!this is time to take especially good care of yourself---rest,eat well,be with loved ones,get some good books and movies.Try the heating pad or ice.and STAY WITH US!
  • This will only help temporarily, but you can use ice for fifteen minutes every hour placed on your lower lumbar area.

Also try this: lie on the floor with your hips pressed up against the edge of a couch or chair. Place your legs on the couch so that from the knee to the feet, they are resting on the seat of the couch. Put your arms close to your sides, palms facing upward. Breathe slowly from the belly.

This is a natural form of traction. It gives the discs a change to unload and should open up the disc space a bit and give the sciatic nerve a break.
  • SCM - no worries. My Dad jokes and says "they want you to come off meds so that you start looking forward to the surgery" I partially think he's right (LOL).

I'm stopping all my anti-inflammatories today (well this morning). My surgery microD L5-S1 is on 2/8.

Gwennie's advice about relaxation work. I'm going to start using them over the next week and a half. I'm also using ice too.

I'm told if it gets bad I can take a percaset or valium so I can sleep.

Stay on board. I saw you post on Feb Surgeries and I'm right there with ya...eat healthy, rest, water, do what you need to stay relatively stress free. I found working to distract me was good but not doing that this time. As a matter of fact, I went out to dinner with some girlfriends last night to get my mind of my work and the surgery.

I'll be looking for you update after surgery!
  • Well today is a good deal better.. I started a Medrol pack a couple of days ago and it is FINALLY kicking in.. It should wear off right about the time I'm going to get my surgery.

I finished all my pre-op stuff and I should be all clear to go next week.

Met with the surgeon earlier this week, looks like I'm in for an L5S1 MicroD w/ bilateral foraminotomies. He's also going to be taking a look at my facet joints because they look like they may be swollen.

Nothing to do now but wait...

• SCM - so glad they gave you medrol pack. It's steroid step pack and does help!

Sounds like your doctor gave you the details you need. I'm following your updates because I'm having the same surgery and while information is overwhelming, it's also empowering.

I'm here waiting with you...you aren't alone.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    I hate the anticipation. It's like get on with it. let's get this over with. Take some deep breaths! You'll be on the other side before you know it.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!

• The awful pain must help you to know that you do need the surgery.

People say that this anticipation before surgery is the worst part. Before long, you will be over to the other side, and then all the pain will be healing pain and you'll know that there is hope for the future.

Use the time to prepare yourself and home for post surgery. Have you got things to amuse yourself once you feel up to it, while you are healing?