Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

my first vicoden free day in 11 weeks!!!!!

dehoyos13ddehoyos13 Posts: 290
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
OMG....for the first time since November 6th....I have a day of NO VICODEN. I did use tylenol with some flexeril but I'm so glad to not need vicoden!!!!

Granted my neck feels pretty good today. My lower back however is a completely different story. That is totally hurting!!!!! I'm thinking it might be from lack of exercise. I really would like to get my core muscles strengthen but that's not likely to happen anytime soon. I haven't started PT yet and won't for probably another 3 or 4 weeks.

So....since the ACDF back in November, I'm not allowed to lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk....5 pounds.

But either way...today is a day for me to celebrate! No vicoden is a big step for me. My throat still feels like it was hit with a big stick, but at least my necks not hurting!!!!!!

Finally....it feels like a breakthrough!!!!!!

• yeehaw!go de!I am so happy for you!!!!!
  • How are you?????? I feel like I haven't heard from some folks in ages. could have been just friday but it seems like a long time to me. ha ha ARe you recovering well?

Thanks for the yeehaw!!!!!

• What about doing some isometric exercises for the core while you are healing and getting ready for PT? Many of those can be done while you are lying on the floor, and thus, protecting your back.

Do you think your new meds are helping?
  • What kind of exercises are those????? The only thing I'm currently doing is the stretch that my surgeon gave me at my last visit. I'm laying on the bed for that and using a towel to lift my legs to straight up in the air as high as I can while I bring my chin to my chest as much as I can. Its usually pretty achy for me after that.

The ambien works wonders now for me to sleep!!!! I take the Flexeril in the morning and at night and vicoden when I'm in pain. But in the last 3 weeks, it seems my ower back is always in pain. A few days ago - Sunday or Monday - were not good pain days for my neck but today has been wonderful!!!!! If my lower back would "get with the program" I'd be ok!!!!!

Please describe the exercises you mean. Do you think its ok to lay on the floor???? I'm not allowed to bathe yet (I do shower however LOL) because of the amount of pressure I'd put on my neck lifting out of the tub. What do you think????

I appreciate it!!!!! Gracias....

• Can you walk? That would be good for your neck and back I think.

Sending you a PM link,

• Yvonne,Congrats on the vicoden free day,anything that makes us feel better mentally, makes us feel better physically, and vice verca. Sorry you are still having lumbar pain, but hopefully that will subside soon also.
    God bless and keep You.. vicoden free :)
  • Hi there. Just wanted to share your excitement. That's really great that you were able to have a day with no vicodin. It will give you courage and make you feel more in control to know you can survive without it. That's what it did for me. Really happy for you and you keep up the good work.
  • Good to hear Yvonne. Walking is very good for you, I know NY in the winter is crappy, like here (woke up to snow, just after everything melted, ugh) but even just walking around the house a few times a day can help.

Sometimes I feel like a total doofus: "OK, now I will get off my heating pad and walk back and forth through the house a few times", but once I do I feel better. The kicker is I have a treadmill, it folds up, and my husband keeps forgetting to put it down in the am. We can't keep it down all the time because he would trip over it at night and there's no other place to put it, so he says....I have an idea, ha ha.

Always good to see a happy post from one of us spiney/neckie friends!