Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I'm in the clear! Stress test was good.....

SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I'm in the clear! I don't know what caused the cardiologist to recommend the stress test and the test was not fun. I got there at 7:15 AM and was home by 10:15 AM. I had not eaten enough so early on in the test I got light headed, you'd think they might have juice for such events but not. Luckily I had an energy bar in my purse (I always carry a mini-Cliff bar as I get low blood sugar occasionally and if I don't have anything with me I go for the first candy-bar I can buy which of course is not the best choice). So I laid back on an examination table for 15 minutes and ate the energy bar and then did fine after that. I will say the technicians were very nice, understanding, etc. They say actually many people get a little woozy due to all the anxiety surrounding the idea of a stress test. For many people it hits them, once they get there, how important this test is so they are used to having someone lay back for a few minutes to rest.

As I was leaving I told the girl at the desk "I was assured that a doctor will review it today and let me know if I'm cleared for surgery or if I need further review, etc". She said "I see you have an appointment to discuss that on Monday". Great, but the surgery is Wednesday and it took so long to get a date for the surgery since it may be 5-10 hours he had to block out a whole day for me, etc. I told her this and she looked at me blankly and didn't care. In fact she forgot to charge me so they'll just have to bill me.

Later in the day I called my spine surgeon's office and told them to call the cardiologist as "medical office to medical office" they may get information faster. Well as it turns out I left the house at 4:45 to head to my massage appointment. When I got back at around 6:00 my husband said the cardiologist had called and said I'm 100% fine, no cause for concern, and cleared for surgery. Now I just have to call the cardiologist's office tomorrow to see if they still want me to follow up with the cardiologist's assistant on Monday as previously planned.

Phew, now I can start stressing only about the surgery :-) Tomorrow I go try on the LSO brace (custom molded). If it's ready and fits I'm done with that portion. If not they say they should be able to have it ready for Friday.
2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 

• Great news about your stress test, they can be "stressful" LOl :)
    Now its time to take a deep breath, the next few days can be nerve wracking, hang in there, we are here for you.
    God bless and keep you...calm,
  • Good to know all is well although quite distressing to say the least. Best wishes for your surgery to go ahead. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • See, we all told you it would be fine! Glad to see you are back on track, and too with a happy ticker! Now "de-stress" and focus. You will be fine and do fine. Sooooo glad to see this turned out so well!!! Congrats woman!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • YEAH! Glad to hear things went well and you are still on for surgery. Monday cant come soon enough for me, im sick of thinking of it!
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    Good news! I had the same happen to me. It's enough to cause you stress!
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • I'm really happy you got through one stressor so you can move on to the next!

I got my brace last week. My doctor's PT told me to practice putting it on, moving around in it, sitting, etc. every day between now and my surgery so that it will be second nature to me by the time surgery rolls around and I am in a drug-induced state. I thought that was amusing. So I set aside time each day for brace practice.

I didn't have a brace with my first fusion so this will be a new experience. I can now really understand the advantages of having it.

Seriously, I am very relieved they did not find any heart problems. Now, on to the next event!!

xx Gwennie
  • all right!!!!!one more hurdle crossed----it won't be long now----be extra good to yourself between now and surgery-you deserve it!
  • I am pleased that it has turned out ok in the end. As texas says be kind to yourself now until the op.
  • So happy to hear that you checked out great. What a relief, eh?

Good luck at your appointment today. I hope your brace fits well and you like the color of it, too.

Take good care,

• Phew is right! You're good to go now...
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    The color of the brace is very cool. The guy who fitted it was great and took it back to the room to make an adjustment. I am wondering if it's a bit too low in the front as it seems when I go from sitting to standing it's hitting my front thigh. I figure I'll play with it again tomorrow to see if there's any reason for concern and if so I'll call to see if it can be adjusted.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • I was fitted for a brace a week ago (new experience for me -- didn't have one for fusion # 1...). I was told to practice putting it on, sitting in it in various chairs, etc. so that by the time I need it and am loopy on meds, it will be second nature. And also, if something really feels wrong, they would have time to fix it for me prior to surgery. I laughed when the guy told me to go home and practice...I thought my life was busy enough without having to add "brace practice" into the mix. @) But you might want to do the same thing so you can decide if it is poking you somewhere it shouldn't.

What type of brace do you have? I wish I were having surgery sooner. Once I finally made up my mind, I'm ready to go. But I chose the date so I shouldn't complain. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

Gwennie ~
  • Glad to hear the test went well. I wish you, and all the other Feb. surgery patients here, a smooth operation and recovery.

Interesting about the brace, mine wasn't custom molded, some "Brace Guy" came to the hospital with a few sizes and fitted me. There's a semi-hard back and front with velcro closures, and vented sides. Still hate the thing after 2 1/2 months, but I know others find a certain comfort when wearing it. They do have their purpose.
  • Just thought I would check and see how it all worked out and came across the thread. So glad to hear you are all cleared for surgery. Did the make you keep the appointment on Monday to get the official results are let it slide?
    My brace is an LSO. I was trying to post a picture here but have been unable to do so. I think I'm missing something in the process. Not sure if this will work

• Turned out beautiful! I love the colors!

Has your surgeon told you if you will be confined to it 24/7... or will you get to take it off to shower? Either way, you will get used to it and one good thing... it's not scorching hot out! You'll get a little itchy at times and believe it or not... I used a long handled rubber spatula to reach my itches. It worked like a charm.

I think you'll be able to log roll, a lot better than I did. You will get fantastic support. (Mine extended up the front to my collar bone and up the back to the base of my neck. Trying to log roll in a turtle shell brace was quite the site... lol).

Thanks for sharing the nice job they did on your brace. I'm sure you will get a lot of compliments on it, when you are out. :)

Take care,

The brace has to be worn only when I'm upright for any period of time (not when going to the bathroom but if I'm up and walking around or sitting).