Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain pump~ Did you have one or not?

mom2boys3mmom2boys3 Posts: 34
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all~ when i was at my pre-op apt on tuesday the nurse suggested i speak to my surgeon about a pain pump after surgery. She said some drs dont even consider them, but thankfully mine does. Did others out there have them?
The one think i dont want to do is let the pain get ahead of me and have to wait for the nurse to get a script then come give me the med in my iv.. She could easily get held up by reciveing a new patient, etc.. No fun..

• I had one after my 360 lumbar fusion in April and I highly suggest one. I didn't have one at first I just had an epidural and it didn't work so they got me a pain pump and it made a huge difference. I was able to keep ahead of the pain as much as u can in that situation. I will be make sure to have one when I wake up with my next surgery. I don't even want to know what it will feel like to have my lung collapsed and a rib cut out completely. I think morphine will be my best friend for the first few days post op. Ha ha ha. Hope u are back on ur feet quickly.
  • Thanx for the repsonse angela! I have my preop with the phyicans asst. tommorrow and i am going to ask for one of those.. I think he has stated he was going to give me one anyway, so im gonna make sure! :)))
  • I had a pain pump for the first 24 hours-then I went to pain pills----they are wonderful!!!I had one both times,and it was part of the setup--I didnt discuss it with either surgeon
  • I had one because I was scared of waking up in pain. As it turned out I didn't really need it. I took a bit because the nurse said I should but it made me sick and I wasn't really in that much pain.
  • I got shots for the first 12 hours or so and then on to pills. Surgery was last week...far lateral discectomy, L3-L4.
  • I think it depends on the surgery and how long you're going to be in the hospital.

I had one for my fusion, but for the lami-foraminotomy I had last Jan. I was alarmed when they brought me back to the room and I could see there was nothing there. Turns out I was worried for no reason. I did not need one. I have yet to figure out that surgery as I had practically no pain. To this day, I do not understand that.

I would be surprised if one were not used for your upcoming surgery. It is a big surgery and they will want to keep you comfortable.
  • They put a pain pump on me after the first day when they realized that the pain meds they were injectioning into my IV were making me throw up. I pushed that button all the time. I needed it.

• I had a morphine pump after my 2 level TLIF. It was worthless but only because I didn't know morphine didn't work for me lol had morphine worked, it would have been great because you are in control of it. I only found out how lousy morphine was for me when they took me off and gave me my first Percocet (after surgery not first ever), and within an hour I felt like a different person! After that first perc, I went almost 14hrs without any meds though, because my pain level dropped dramatically. Oh well, now I know lol
  • I had a pain pump for both of my surgeries and was told at my pre-op appointment that I'd have one. They never asked if I wanted it or not, it was standard.

For the ACDF, I had a dilaudid pump which I hated, did nothing for the pain, but it was only a one-day hospital stay so I didn't worry too much about it.

For my TLIF, I told my doc I didn't want dilaudid so they gave me a morphine pump. That worked well except the first night, I'd sleep through the pain med and when I woke up, the pain was horrendous. So they decided to put me on a constant low-dose morphine drip so when I woke up I'd have enough pain medication in me not to scream in pain, but then I could push the button to get the added pain med boost.

Interestingly, the nurse was telling me that they monitor the pump use at the nursing station. Usually the pain med will dispense when the button is pushed every 8 minutes. She said generally when patients are first in their room, they click the button a lot, but obviously don't get a pain distribution with every click. Then as the pain gets better, the patient doesn't click as often and therefore doesn't have as high of a click to non-distribution ratio.

For me, by the end of day two in the hospital, she told me that I'd pressed the button eight times and gotten eight pain distributions so this tells them that my pain was lessening because I wasn't pushing the button before the pain could be distributed.

I found this interesting as apparently, at least at my hospital, the pain pump is used to judge whether a patient's pain level is lowering or not.

• I found it strange that my DH had a pain pump for his Discectomy and I did not for my Fusion or Hardware Removal. All 4 surgeries were by the same dr. in the same hospital.

I wanted a pain pump! Instead I got jabbed with pain shots every 2 hours and nausea shots every 6!!!
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Just know that if they say "PCA" that also means pain pump. PCA is Patient Controlled Anaglesia where you push the button. My doctor's office just said "Are you okay with PCA?" and i said YES.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • I had one for the first 2 days. I went into the surgery thinking I wouldn't need it and that I'd impress everyone by my ability to manage the pain without the using the pump. Pfft. After half a day I wanted to marry that thing. My thumb was swollen from incessantly pressing the button to see if it was time yet.
  • I didn't use much energy pushing ahead of time, the nurse told me it would only give a dose every 6 minutes, and that the light would turn green on the button when I could get more. Day one I loved to see the green, by day 2 midday, it was giving me a headache (it was worse then the back pain), which gave me nausea, so it was time to kiss it goodbye. My pain was still well controlled with shots then pills on day 3.
    God bless and keep you,
  • Dr told me today that i will have a PCA pump with morphine for the first 3-4 days. Hope Morphine works for me, if not they will do Diauladed or Demerol.
    I will be in ICU for the first 24 hrs..
  • Dr told me today that i will have a PCA pump with morphine for the first 3-4 days. Hope Morphine works for me, if not they will do Diauladed or Demerol.
    I will be in ICU for the first 24 hrs..
  • I am anxious about the pain control thing since I had the allergic reaction to morphine pre op last surgery. Lynette