Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Irobot - Romba

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Water Cooler
We just purchased a I-Robot Romba. I've been interested in this device for several years now, but my wife was always skeptical. Well, we did get one.

It works pretty good and I am amazed on how it works.
(For those that dont know what it is, its a round robot, about 18 inches in diameter and is a vacuum cleaner)
We set up its home base and then let it go into our kitchen and dining area. It took about 45 minutes for it to do the cleaning. It goes around and around, sometimes following the walls, sometimes zigzags across the floor. If it hits something (ie table leg) it just finds another direction.
BUT it does clean. It handles rugs and bare floors, it knows how to make the change.

My wife wanted mainly because I do all the cooking and though I am a excellent cook, an I am also excellent in making a mess. While we watch TV, I just let the little guy out to clean the floors. Next I am going to have him work on the living room. This model also allows it to be programmed, so we could have the robot go out at different times of the day/night.

And when its finished, it just returns itself to home
base and goes to sleep!
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• we have 6 kids and none can figure out what a vacuum is. maybe i should invest in one of those. most of our house is hardwood floors but from what you said it works on those as well.
  • Thanks for sharing how this robot vacuum actually works. Have been skeptical myself but you gave a good testimonial. I just bought myself one of those tiny Dyson's (DC-24, 11.5 lbs so it's easy to carry) and I love it. It is the only vacuum I've used that doesn't aggravate my neck. Obviously, the iRoomba would be great for my neck/back, but I'm not sure what our cat would think of it, lol.

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • Love the Roomba! Can't say enough good things about it. It's also extremely entertaining and a wonderful conversation piece.

It's been a while. Maybe they've changed them. If not, just wait until it's full and needs to be emptied while it's running. It will just stop right where it is and "throw up."

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839
    And I closed the doors and let MrJetRoam (the name I gave to my Romba) let loose. As I am typing, I can hear him roaming the floors, cleaning them as he goes.

Each time I do let MrJetRoam loose, I check the basket where the dirt is collected. It is amazing how much does get picked up every day.

• I want one!!!! I'm going to get my gf to bring hers over this Sunday afternoon and let me try it out. She has raved over it. I like everyone else have been too skeptical. I figure my two monkey cats will be riding around on it. Entertaining X 400...

She got hers from some weird website...Woot...or something. Do they have them at Wallie world? or is it something you have to get at a store like Sears...sorry if asking this violates forum rules....just wondered if you bought yours from the net or at a store??

I get my kids to vaccumn now since ours is an upright and heavy to push. We have hardwood everywhere except the bedrooms and a few rugs on the wood.

Does it make alot of noise running around? or fairly quiet?
    It is the Model 520.
    Its really not noisy, you can hear it humming a bit, the only noise is when it hits an object and turns around. If the object (in our case) are glass doors, you hear it a little more.
    But nothing that would annoy anyone
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I want one too! I've got a new Kenmore upright vacuum that we let the guy at Sears talk us into. It's a great vacuum and very quiet compared to most. BUT it is heavy! You get a real workout using it. I wish I had taken it back. I think I'll drop the hint that I want a Roomba and see how far that gets me! I keep waiting for someone to make a remote control vacuum. Then I can sit on the couch and vacuum the whole house. lol. I also want someone to make a remote control lawn mower..lol.

• But ever since we bought our new living room furniture (5 years ago) it get's stuck under the curves of the coffee table. Maybe I need to look at some of he newer models.

If I could overcome that obstable, it sure would be priceless to have.

Glad you brought this up, PapaRon.
  • Hey Debbie,
    If you want a vacuum that will work while you sit on the couch the Roomba is for you. As for a lawn mower that does the same, so far the only thing I can come up with is a few goats (or my husband.)

Have fun.
    A few goats? Well yeah that would work. They could mow and fertilize all at the same time couldn't they? lol
    As for your husband, I don't know him :D and my husband doesn't do much yardwork. He's an old goat so you'd think....lol. I still think a remote control lawnmower would do the trick. The goats would too but they'd eat my roses and shrubbery and I'd have to kill them. lol
    What do you think? (I know I'm crazy)
  • I love it! Mow AND fertilize! LOL! Oh, I can't wait until SPRING!

I think I might have to leave the "old goat' comment alone. I like the idea of the remote control lawn mower. If they can't invent that how about this?

You know those vacuum cleaners with the hose part on the side you just pull out to get in the corners and along the edges? I've always said, why can't they invent a lawn mower like that with a weed wacker attached to the side that we can just pull out and clean up the corners real quick. Might make it worth doing then.

Until then, I'm gonna let my "Old Goat" I mean Husband do the lawn. I'll do the flowers.
    You know that's a pretty good idea too. I was wondering how I could make a remote control weedeater but your idea would help too. I usually do the flowers, yard and all. I can't really complain though (but I do) because I honestly like doing it. It's getting harder every year but I'll take care of it as long as I can. I love being outside...ahh the smell of freshly mowed grass...that's where the goat idea may not work out! lol.
    Sorry Ron. I didn't mean to change your post to mowers instead of vacuums. How are you liking the Roomba? I'd be afraid I'd step on it! Or trip over it!
    to make one for our lawns also. I am still in awe of the way this IRobot Romba works ( mine is now called Ellie) I watched it run over the room, changing directions, moving from side to side, perimeter to perimeter and zigzagging.. But it does the job and then goes to sleep.

I want one to do my lawn, rake the leaves, shovel the snow, trim the shrubs, and more. It will come
  • Ron and Debbie,
    LOl! While we are at it, might we get one to groom the dogs? We are definitely on to something here. At least the lawn mower part. Surely it can be invented. Hmmmm......

I do love the Roomba but...!

We need to get together and see what we can come up with. We'll be rich before it's over with. lol.
    Groom the dogs? Well that reminds me. We were somewhere the other day and I saw a sign for a car wash that said car wash and dog bath...I asked my husband what do you do, strap the dog to the hood of the car??? I'm serious I really did see a sign that said that.
    I'll have to think about this robot idea. Let me know what you come up with.

• Funny thing is we have a Dogwash/carwash here too!
    They sit opposite each other on the same lot!

I wonder if they share the same catch basin so the fur goes were all the grit that comes off the cars goes. Probably more cost effective that way?

I've looked at roombas, never could quite talk myself into one. I know they are supposed to be pretty intelligent, as far as that goes, but we have a sunken dining room and I keep seeing the cat pushing it over the edge! :))(
    The IRobot Roomba Scooba Floor Wash!
    It washes and cleans your floors just as the Roomba vacumns your floors.
    The same person who turned me onto the Roomba, showed
    me the Scooba... It really works, the same way.
    It doesnt use a lot of water, but when it cleans, it cleans
    I haven't heard of those. That could be really useful too. I'm going to check it out.
    Thanks Ron.

• I am having surgery today. Thanks, you guys have given me something to dream about. (and have taken my mind off all the serious stuff. THANK YOU!
    As for my drug induced nap...Any dream request?

I didn't know you're having surgery today. I wish you the best of luck.
    I can see it now. The surgeon will be working on you and you'll be mumbling in your sleep about remote control lawnmowers and robots....they'll think that they gave you way to many drugs! :))(
    What surgery are you having?
    Good luck and please let us know how you're doing.