Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My op done!

hj_sparks85hhj_sparks85 Posts: 38
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all, just wanted to post to say I have had my op.
Just some background -
I'm 24 from UK and work with children. Had back pain for about 5 years and about 8 months ago started suffering with bad siatica in my left leg. Had an MRI in Dec which showed a large prolapsed disc (L5), some had broken away and was trapping the nerves badly.
I was told I would need surgery urgently on the NHS so waited and waited! Last Friday, I got a call saying that I was being sent to a private hospital as the NHS were struggling. My op was sceduled for 6 days! I had to arrange cover for work and prepare!
I am glad thou as I didn't have much time to worry, although I didn't sleep much!
Anyway - Went in yestarday at 12:30 to the Runnymead, Chertsey Middlesex (For anyone who knows it!) Had to eat before 8am and nothing to drink after 10am which was the hardest.
Was sharing a room with another lady but the room was more like a hotel! I had a visit from the nurse, took BP etc and then had a chat to the surgeon and anesitist (bad spelling!)
I am also a smoker which was hard - didn't manage to stop or cut down before hand, and also convinced my Mum to sneak out twice for a sneaky one!
At about 3:15 I was collected to go down to down to theatre and was allowed to walk in. Had the lovely "sleeping cocktail" and woke up at 5:20 feeling a bit drugged up!
The surgeon said it was a sucsess and all was well. Went back to my room and felt okay. I was given morphine so was up, chatting to family and able to go to the toilet after about an hour.
I was given Tranadol and paracetemol and was not in too much pain. My main problem was getting comfortable and not being able to laugh with family!
I was given some soup and sandwich which I found hard to eat as I kept choking on bit's but just really needed water.
I was up and confident walking on my own about 2 hours after - and found myself wondering up and down with bordom! And yes - did also sneak out for a naughty fag too! Not recommended as was very dizzy and light-headed.
I didn't sleep at all during the night - mostly because I couldn't get comfy. I had the dressing on the wound and also the drain in my hand. It was during the early hours that I started having a bad achey pain in my right shoulder, arm and neck. This became very painful and at 5am had some more painkillers.
My boyf came in at 8 and had to wait to see the nurse, surgeon and physio. Did some basic excersize's which are done lying down - showed her I could walk and do stairs easily ( I have 2 flights at home!) Had my dressing changed to a waterproof one then was discharder!
The drive home was not as bad as I thought - was just so glad to be going home.
My boyf settled me in bed then went off to my doc as I needed to get a medical cert, arrange for physio and make an app to have the stiches removed in 2 weeks time.
I felt totally exausted and irritable but couldn't sleep. I think i fell asleep about 3 for a few hours.
The pain in my back from the wound is getting slightly worse as time goes on and have to change position often and have been using a hot water bottle to ease it slightly. Walking is also becoming harder and have to walk really slow, almost a shuffle! Stairs, I am like a toddler with my boyf or Mum beside me!
Not had a shower yet, mainly as I am to exausted. Other than thoes few things, I feel ok. I think the pain in my neck etc could be where I was rolled over in surgery, and also because I favour that side to pull myself up.
Anyway, I have rambled on enough - Just wanted to update everyone as this site has been great for me, and I hope others will find it useful.
I would also like to say a Huge thanks to my family, especially my wonderful boyfriend who was been by my side throughout (wondering how long it will last thou!)

Thanks again

• Hi Hazel-what did you have done?
  • Hi Hazel,
    It sounds like you did very well! Glad to hear it! What did you have done?
  • Sounds like your doing good. :) With all the movement and all.
  • Sorry - had a microdisectomy to remove the broken part of the disk. All went well aparently.
    Still in a lot of pain this morning - feeling sick and also feverish so just staying in bed for the meantime. Think I "jinxed" it by saying I was expecting worse pain yesterday -
  • if you feel "feverish" you need to take your temperature and if you have a fever call your doctor!!!!! could be a sign of infection!

I'm sure the more experienced on this site are going to agree with me......everybody??????????
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    I wish you a speedy recovery.

I agree get the your GP to check you haven't got an infection.

Take care

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery

• It is very helpful for those of us that haven't had surgery yet, to hear of others experiences.

I think they sometimes inject aneasthetic around the surgery before they close you up, which could explain why you are in worse pain now. It could have worn off now. Hopefully each day that goes by, you will feel a bit better.

I am in the UK too. You were lucky to have your surgery in a private hospital on the NHS. Was the food nice?

Keep healing and take care.
  • Thanks all - will keep an eye on my temp.
    The food was nice but couldnt eat much. Had to pre-order and I didn't know what I would be like.
    Had soup, sandwich and yogurt then cereal and yogurt in the morning. Only managed the yog thou! Lots of water and tea brought in by the catering staff.
  • Hey all,
    been home for 3 days and going crazy already. The pain has really set in now and have to stay in my room most of the time. 2 flights of stairs to the kitchen :(
    Had the dressing changed today and saw the stitches for the first time - not as bad as i thought. Still not sleeping to well and just cant get comfortable. Also not been doing my physio stuff as I feel so achey and week.

• People on here generally say that the first 2 weeks are the worst, so hopefully you'll start to feel better soon.
    Has your temperature gone down now?

Keep resting, walking and healing.

Take care.
  • Thanks Jellyhall - no temp since. Think it was the srtong tablets and the anesthetic making me feel rough. Feeling ok now - just the pain in my back and some twinges down my leg - bit like what I had before the opp so hoping its starting to heal.

Had my first trip out today - to my next doors house for a chat!
    Did anyone feel really exausted after simple things like walking up stairs or having guests for a while?
    I always feel like I have to rest after as I am soo achey and tired!