Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Screw causing pain?

candle99ccandle99 Posts: 279
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Lower Back Pain
I wanted to post a couple of pics from my recent lumbar mri and CT scans to ask folks about hardware/screws. I was told my current NS that the screw in my L4/5 that goes all the way through the vertebra and is also to the right outside where I also have cages for the fusion could not be causing any pain or problems...that sometimes they do this on purpose cause the bone is tougher on the outside than inside. This seemed lame to me. He also said that there is nothing that could be getting poked inside me to cause pain. what?? Has anyone had screw problems and what did they do or what were you told about it?

I want to post the pics, but have to find a website to put them on first. I will have to work on this and get them added so you can see what I'm talking about. All the internet searches that turn up say that screws through the bone can cause problems and pain and must be removed. So I'm just trying to figure out my current surgeon's game. Sometimes I swear he just spills out stuff to put you at ease I guess but there's been more than one occasion that he's been wrong. I hate doctors that seem to be in the clouds somewhere. But maybe he's right and I have nothing to worry about.

My low back pain is sometimes sharper, most of the time achey.

• I think I've got it...here's the pics.

• Hello,
    I was hoping that I would find that the hardware was the cause of my ongoing pain.Simple,just take it out.Finding,[that anyone who has LARGE rods and screws in their spine is going to be like a welded together car-still working,but never the same]-was difficult.Sometimes scar tissue and nerve damage happens.My spine is stable at quite a physical cost.Learning to life with it,is my job.Seems to be full time some days.Some good,some not so.I have had three very educated opinions and still haven't accepted my path.Good Luck finding yours.

This discussion has been closed.