Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

hernation of c3/4

windflamewwindflame Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I had another Mri dont Jan 11th and showed (from looking at a mri from a year ago) the herniation at my c3/4 has gotten MUCH worse. I apparently have calcifications of my c3/4 also which they said because this was long going with me and my spine relativley withstood this that they will not touch it on top of the risks having this so high up. Now for the past 6 days i have severe cramping in my arms/legs, its kinda hard to swallow (gotta bend my head forward (chin to chest, which that hurts like crazy) and my legs kinda feel like "rubbery" when walking. I am concerned that this shold be addressed asap and hoping someone who had this hernation at the c3/4 can give advice on what to do (even tho I called the neuro and waiting for head nurse to call back)

• Hi,

First let me say welcome to spine-health. I have three level fusion and one of my levels is the c3-c4 level that is fused in. Now I am not of the medical field so I can't really say why they are telling you nothing can be done. My question is what types of treatments have you tried so far? Are you on any medications to help with the pain? If I was in your position I would seek out a second opinion. Sometimes the opinions are different and you may need a third opinion. You may want to goggle a dermatone map and see if any of your pain follows the patterns listed on there diagrams. WE have a video here on cervical radiculopathy as well but I don't think it covers that level. But that is something else you could look into is cervical radiculopathy and see what you come up with. As far as the leg issues, there are some leg issues that can occur regarding cervical conditions. But only you and your doctors could determine if it is indeed coming off your neck or something unrelated. What brought you to see a MRi regarding your neck in the beginning. Was surgery ever offered as a means to solve the issues or any other types of treatments. Have they made any mention of myelopathy to you either.

I do hope the nurse calls you back and you get some ideas as to what to do. Just thought I would stop by and welcome you to spine-health and if there is anything I can do for you don't hesitate to pm me. Take care and keep us posted.
  • I wanted to add that if the pain is extreme please don't hesitate to go to the ER.

Sometimes a different set of eyes on a problem can be a good thing. Maybe getting a second opinion is a good idea.

• The ER is a Room for Emergencies, as the name indicates. On-going issues i.e. pain, coughs, colds etc should be addressed to PCP.
  • Wow Thanks for informing me BigG.... Are you a doctor?

If a nerve is being compressed badly it could be an emergency. If something shifts in her neck it could very well be an emergency.

• BigG said:
    The ER is a Room for Emergencies, as the name indicates. On-going issues i.e. pain, coughs, colds etc should be addressed to PCP.
    Julie wrote:
    I wanted to add that if the pain is extreme please don't hesitate to go to the ER.

While I agree with your comments as to "when" someone should go to an ER, you need to re-read what Julie wrote. She only suggested this if the pain got extreme - big thing there! There could be something substantive that changed and now it is an emergency! H@ll, a yawn blew my disk into the nerve! One never knows what issues cause a person to have an ER emergency. Just my thoughts here...

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Well the reason they said nothing can be done right now is the fact I had a herniation and last year it wasnt so bad and with there now (according to them) being calcifications , and with my spinal cord tolerating it there, until this was going on, they felt surgery wasnt warrented. The symptoms ( around my upper neck and base of skull, throbbing pain in arms and legs and other symptoms, they called and said its sounding like it may be that but the neurosurgeon was in surgery and had his head nurse call to say to wait till monday unless the symptoms get worse. I also had ACDF surgery in July of last year for my C6/7 where the mri showed a minimal disk buldge of my c3/4 but new one shown it blown but shows calcifications on my c3/4 i just feel i should get another opinion also which I planon doing. Anything like this from what I was looking up in reguards to the diaphram and it causing major damage if it gets worse (Its pressed directly on my spinal cord and not on the nerve roots) i dont want to mess around with this at the cost of something that can be prevented if it comes to it. right now im taking (since July of last year) Neurontin, ibuprofen, and methacarbomone(sp). It just makes me nervous over something like this.
  • my earlier post. "Ongoing issues....". A sudden onset of new or more intense pain may well indicate an emergency situation.