Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spinal Fusion Recovery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello everyone. My husband just had a L4/L5/S1 spinal fusion 4 days ago and so far the recovery is going well. One main concern is that before the surgery, he was losing feeling in his left leg. Now, after the surgery he doesn't have full feeling yet in his leg. We know that it might never be 100%. I was wondering what is the average time that the feeling usually comes back to the leg.

Thank you!

• I'm one year out from L5-S1 ALIF. I still have some loss of sensitivity in my left leg and foot, and occasional pins & needles in my foot. I accept / expect I will never get that feeling back, but I am pain free which is far more important. Its about the same as it was before the surgery in terms of loss of feeling, it never really improved.

I don't think there is an "average" time, as it depends on the nerve damage and perhaps how long it was damaged, everyone heals differently. There is definitely a chance of healing though.

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Nerves take a very very long time to heal. He may begin to feel improvements in small increments. He may feel this as pain, "zingers", twitching,etc. The amount of eventual healing depends in part on how severe the nerve impingement was before the surgery and how long that impingement had been going on.

I waited too long to have my cervical fusion done. I had symptoms of pain down the left arm with numbness and tingling into my index finger and middle finger. Today I still have numbness in the index finger which is permanent (given that my surgery was in 2006). I wish I had done the surgery sooner and I may have had a better outcome.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • I had my second fusion in Sept '09 and my right leg is numb with loss of feeling. It is more pronounced since last surgery of Jan'08. Learning to live with it as atleast i can walk better than before the L3-S1 fusions.