Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

EMG questions to prepare

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hello all. I am new to these boards.

My husband is to undergo an EMG monday! Hopefully to find out if he has nerve damage. He has issues with pain from his back shooting down his but and into his legs. We was not really told much to prepare other than you can eat and drink before hand.

But I am questioning that. He is on pain medication and muscle relaxers at the moment. Should he stop those or not take those the day of? I am worried if he takes them it will cause the results to show nothing wrong with him. Does anyone know?

• I'm not a Doctor but I think if there's nerve damage it will show up no matter if your husband takes his daily medications. But since the Doctor didn't have any special orders it wouldn't hurt if he's able to go without the meds especially if the test is early in the morning I don't know if it would make a difference. I personally took an extra sedative and breakthrough medication as I heard the test was uncomfortable. Even with the meds I was unable to complete the test due to the hypersensitivity of my leg. I wish you and your husband all the best and I hope that the test is normal. Take care and keep us posted. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hello,
    This site can be very informative,but is not meant to give medical information.We are just all"afloat in the same life boat".Your physician should answer all questions concerning medicine.I have had several EMG's and the discomfort paled compared to pain I was in from my back.The medications taken will vary from physician to physician. Good Luck

• Thank you for your responses!

The issue was it was the weekend, we had no way of contacting the doctor and his apt was for 7:45 this morning. It has been such a battle to even get this test we did not want to do anything that may alter its findings.

I am well aware, this is peer to peer discussion not medical information, I was asking based on if others had been specifically told.

Thank you both for your kind words.
  • You don't need to stop taking any medication before having an EMG. I asked the neurologists and my pain management doc before having mine done, and they said it wouldn't affect the EMG or nerve conduction test.
This discussion has been closed.