Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Needing help for my dad

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
My dad had surgery on his neck 4 days ago and seems to be having problems recovering . I have been searching the internet all night on recovery from this kind of surgery and can't find what I'm looking for. I don't know all the details of his surgery. Hopefully someone can help with what I know.

He had a ruptured disc (C7). Before his surgery he was having really bad Upper Back pain, numbness in his arm and hand and no strength in his hand. I don't know the name of surgery he had. I do know that they took out the disc that was ruptured. They did not replace or fuse anything.

After his surgery he was supposed to be in recovery for 1 hour but it was for 2 1/2 because they could not get his pain under control. He finally got put in a room and had terrible terrible pain all night. Got sent home next morning. The pain from the ruptured is gone. He has no numbness and has strength in is hand again. Witch is great the pain I guess is from the surgery.

Its now day 4 and he is still in terrible pain and he says its getting worse. He is trying to get up and walk around the house a few times a day but he can't. The doctor did not tell him what to expect. We have also tried to contact the doctor but he did not return our call on Friday and its the weekend now so I'm sure he won't until Monday. I guess I should add that he is getting depressed too.

I know its only 4 days after surgery but the pain he is in doesn't seem normal. Can someone please let me know if this is normal. And if so how long will it last. If anyone can help me at all I would be very grateful.

• I haven't had surgery yet but there should be someone on call for surgery day and night call the hospital where he had surgery or the office phone number. Encourage your Dad to take his meds continuously every 4 hours or as ordered even to set his alarm to take his meds. He may need something more like muscle relaxants or something the Surgeon can order for him when you get in touch with him. After having neck surgery he may only be able to sleep in a recliner or lazy boy chair or really propped up with lots of pillows on the couch or bed. Your Father is lucky to have you watching out for him. Make sure he has lots of water and little meals or healthy snacks like yogurt and other soft foods to make it easy to swallow. I hope you get a hold of someone on call tonight. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • where your Dad had surgery and explain what is happening. Or call the surgeon if he is available. The hospital should have given you better instructions on what to do when he got home. If his pain is not controlled, tell the hospital as well. If he is in too much pain, the other thing is to take him to the ER to be looked at and get something to make his pain more managed. Hope this helps. Love, Robin
  • Unsure what to suggest but it almost sounds like he had a microdiscectomy which I'm not sure if they do those on the neck area but it is where they remoe the disc compressing the nerve.

It's great he got feeling back and nerve pain is gone, that's very positive.

As for the other pain, I agree that he should be taking pain meds (including muscle relaxers) as prescribed at least for the 1st week.

I would call the doctor, they usually have an answering service. Or the ER. If he thinks he can make it through the night I would definitely call first thing to find out what options he has.
  • Thank you everyone for your help. My step mom is going to call the Doctor first thing in the morning. I think we should have called today but my dad wanted to try and hold out until Mon. morning. Just hoping everything is normal. Thank you all so much again!!!
  • Let us know how your dad progesses. We will keep him in our prayers.