Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

PLIF success story

allbetteraallbetter Posts: 12
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had PLIF (posterior interbody lumbar fusion) surgery done at L5-S1 on Sept. 23, 2009. It has been about 2 and a half months and I am feeling the best I have in over 12 years! I am a 32 yr. old wife and mother and lived with this problem for many, many years of my young adult life.

It went from my initial health insurer (Kaiser Permanente) not doing so much as an x-ray, to finally getting to the heart of the issue (severe DDD) at the mentioned level. In between I went through countless narcotic rx's (lived on them), mri's, discograms (ouch!), esi's, rhizotomy's, had a spinal cord stimulator implanted (worked a little). This was all while doing my homework on artifical disc replacements and fusion sugery (both had been recommeded to me by various surgeons). I saw at least 5!

I finally found an awesome surgeon in Dallas, TX and went with the PLIF procdure (I did not want ALIF).

Results are this: Surgery went as planned. PLIF was done and spinal cord stim was removed at same time. I had no complications. I was in hospital for 7 days...the first 5 were very painful, not gonna lie. I came home from there and recovered at an amazingly fast rate. Wore a rigid back brace at all times when I was upright for 6 weeks. I am already back into my normal routine (normal for a young mother with small children, not my pre-op state). I am doing so well, I did not even require phyical therapy. My activity level is 100x what it was pre-op!

If any of you would like to dicuss my experience, I would love to. If you are considering this procedure, or have any questions, I would be happy to do my best to answer them, as someone that has been through it. I was on this site before my surgery and some of the stuff I saw really scared me, so I want you all to know there are success stories!

I also had to deal with multiple insurance denials. I was successful at getting them turned over...want to know how? I went to my husband's employer (usually you can do this on the 2nd appeal, even thought they won't tell you that you have this right) to plead my case, state my evidence and ask for the care I pay for. Becasue they self funded the policy, they were able to overrule the administrator (Aetna). I won! Don't give up!

I look forward to hearing from any of you that I might be able to "help".