Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

So what do I do next week after my MicroD?

scmgurusscmguru Posts: 103
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
It's getting close to my surgery date and I can't wait! I was looking through all the info I received and didn't get anything on how long it will take to heal, what exercises to do and when etc..

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
advertisement

Comments

• The very first thing you do is make up your mind that you will take it easy for the first three weeks, NO MATTER WHO GREAT YOU FEEL!!!!

Often patients come out feeling close to pain-free for the first time in ages, and they cannot wait to get back to all the activities they haven't been able to do while they were in pain...They overdo it, and the next thing is a reherniation of the disc and a trip back to the surgeon. My surgeon said this is the biggest problem he has with his patients...and I know there are people on the board who can confirm this, having done it themselves!!

Initially you do not want to do anything but gentle walking for exercise. You will be told to avoid all activities that involve bending, lifting anything heavier than a gallon of milk, twisting, reaching up overhead or to the side. Also do not sit longer than 15-20 minutes at a time, and for the first week, try not to do it too often. You want to give the disc a good chance to scab over and form a tight cover. Otherwise, if it is irritated during the healing process, it will be more likely to reherniate or bulge.

I would suggest also, not riding in cars unless necessary. Your surgeon will tell you when you can drive. You will get all these instructions with your discharge papers.

Drink LOTS of water and other fluids (not soda)...and you should make that a habit. Also the pain meds are constipating so get things in the house to eat that will help...lots of high fiber, fruit juices like prune or blueberry, grape is OK, too. If you like to eat fruit, grapes and blueberries are very good. YOu could eat a high fiber cereal with blueberries on top, for example. Try to avoid foods that are known to be constipating like cheese.

I'm sure others will chime in with their suggestions!

Good luck.

Gwennie

Read here for some good ideas from a professional:

http://www.spine-health.com/treatment/back-surgery/postoperative-care-lumbar-microdiscectomy-surgery
  • Lol Gwennie

My discharge papers said I was cleared to have sex the day after my micro-d :)

Biggest thing is to follow your doctors orders as long as they make sense - lol. Plan to do half of what you think you can do. Get lots of books and movies and puzzles. I wish I had more alone time because I got sucked into what everyone was doing and did too much. My husband was home and by day 6 he wanted to go shopping but not alone.

Where is your herniation? And what are they doing? That makes a huge difference in the recovery as well.
  • Sex the day after - I wish!!
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    RIGHT!!! :jawdrop:
    Good luck with that, Jim =))
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • L5S1...

72 hours from now.. I'll be out of surgery.. Had my pre-admission call today..

• Gwennie offers great advice, I mean GREAT advice.

Week 1 - do not sit for more than 15 mins. Better to lay flat and alternate with small walks each hour on FLAT surfaces

Drink lots of water, fiber, etc. You do not want to strain doing anything...I figured I throw that out there. They tell you don't bend, twist, lift, but you don't want to push, pull, sneeze, cough to hard either. I wouldn't stress about it, but I would be wise about offsetting pain med side effect with healthy foods.

You will be tired the first week, just a normal effect of the anesthesia and pain meds. Don't get upset about it, let your body heal.

Do not drive in a car (even as a passenger)if possible for 2 weeks. Believe it or not, you torque/twist/bump more than you need.

Like others said...do not overdo it. You actually have to listen to your body and then some. Your body might tell you "you feel good" so don't only rely on your body...rely on the rules your doctor gives you.

They'll give you instructions on discharge about when you can shower, when to change the dressing, etc.

Krys-NY - too funny! You know it's a question everyone has but that they do not include in discharge instructions.
  • The first 2 weeks after, I was physically slow. Just slow. I could do stuff, but slow. Couldn't have sped up even if I had wanted to.

Look into aquatic physical therapy.
    Google Linda Huey physical therapy to see what I mean.

My surgeons were adamant that I use that protocol. Good stuff.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
    -----------------------------
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
advertisement