Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C6&C7 Fussion and meds

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I had a C6 and C7 fussion done May 6 of 2008. From a mma match 9 mixed martial arts). I have had numbness in my right index fibger since the injury. A coulpe of weeks ago I noticed that I was hurting more than usual. Then my thumb as wekk as index gone numb. Im needing another surgery and its hard to find a good dr whos staff arnt A Holes. I got terminated from Vangard Brain and spine because I was told I was rude to the staff. All I did was request that I speak to the Dr personally for 2 days still nothin then I told the lady that He had better call me if I was payin 20,000 to him he can atleast talk to me about the operation. When I first got this surgery from DR. ABC in Wilmington ( a great dr). They had no prblems in helping out in the painmanagement field. When I moved up to Greensboro are all they wanna do is give u tramadol which doesnt work or be accussed of being hooked on percit. I have been months without pain meds and if you still have horrible pain and a metal pain in your neck dude dont tell me Im hooked! If the medicine is still FDA approved give it to people who need it. They can tell if u have pain believe me I was hooked up to one of those needle things that show on a spectograph the intensity. Ineed a good dr anyony know of any? I live in Greensboro NC. Carolina Bone and Joint I used to go and it was like going to a college of new practionianers.

Post edited by Authority Member haglandc to remove name of Medical Professional

• that is a horrible mismanagement of pain.if i understand you right, you have a doctor who is telling you, you need surgery and won't get back to you? maybe it would be best to find someone else. what if you develop complications after the surgery will you feel confidence in your doctor getting back to you in a timely fashion? there is a web site to look up doctors to see if there are any legal actions.http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/home/index.shtml you may find some info useful. no guarantees. just a resource.no one source is the answer. did you ever go to a pain management doctor?if your pain is not manageable with tramadol,they need to be made aware and a new plan instituted. remember these are just suggestions. and i am not giving advise as a professional.good luck to you.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    It sounds to me like you need to be referred to a pain management clinic. Where pain is their specialty. A surgeon dosen't like to prescribe drugs for more than a normal recuperation time frame. a pain management Dr. isn't afraid, that's his specialty and they can spot a drug shopper in a minute where a surgeon can't and won't.And welcome tos.h. forums.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • OMG did I just say that???

Honey what are you feeling now? You said your fingers go numb so you need another surgery. Who told you this and what tests have they done? What surgery do they say you need?

Are you still having pain from your fusion? Usually numbness in your fingers is not "pain" so I am guessing there is more going on.

If you can give more details maybe someone will recognize what they have experienced and offer some advice.

Also do you have anyone who can go to docs with you or make some calls for you? You seem very distressed even here. If you get this upset with the doctors office I can understand how you may not get very good results.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,874
    Its easy to detect your anger with doctors and the way your situation has been handled.
    There are so many excellent doctors with staff to support them. I have no idea what was in Greensboro,
    but I do know how very important it is to research the medical staff that you plan to see.

That can make all the difference in the world
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I'm a smoker and was really scared when I found out that I needed a cervical fusion because of my smoking and that my surgen might not do the surgery because of it. My circumstances was either to bad or I had a really empathedic NS one. He knew I smoked because he did my lumbar discectomy and to be honest he never once told me I had to quit before the operation. It worried me but the surgery went on. As for the fusion, I don't know yet. I'm about 7 wks post-op. Though I have no real problem with my neck. I still have issues with my shoulders and arm pain. Time will tell I guess.
  • There's no medical proof or justificaion on this matter granted smoking is harmful so is being overweight. I too smoke and my surgeon didn't make a big deal about it, he said if I was overweight that would make more of a difference with recovery. Believe it or not being overweight is more harmful on your organs than smoking and also the food you choose to put on your plate will kill you faster!!!
    Just some FYI. Of course everyone is different.
  • Please keep this thread on track. Honeybiscuit said nothing about smoking in his original post. Please do not take this thread off on a tangent.