Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

pain level before surgery

salty444ssalty444 Posts: 149
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi,

I am just wondering what your pain level was ( 1-10 ) scale before surgery. I have had pain that brought me to my knees but lately it is just a dull ache with occasional shooting pains to my feet. My disc is very badly damaged.... Am I just used to the pain or should I not have surgery until I am in intense pain again. I don't know what do to.
I would have to say my pain level hovers between a 3-5 but about twice a year I do something to really put myself in a world of hurt for a week or so and if my pain level isn't a 10 then it must be a 20.

any help appreciated
advertisement

Comments

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    My pain level was about a 6 w/meds before this surgery. And because I was already on a high dose of meds. They could not get a handle on my pain after the surgery. Don't wait till it gets too bad. And you may be doing irreversible damage to your nerves.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • I am concerned that I may have damaged the nerve since I noticed a change from extreme pain in my right leg to tingling sensations with less shooting pains.
  • I agree with Jim,don't wait till it gets so bad---it takes time to go through all the steps leading to surgery(if that is an option)-get a handle on it right away
  • I have good days and bad days myself (from 3-9). Then I go through weeks where the pain is unbearable. You might just be going through a good period. If surgery is an option for you, and they think it will work, then take it. Of course, you have to know it is right for you (especially fusion). I am going through one more round of PT myself and, if it doesn't work, then fusion. At this point, I will do anything in the hopes of living a more normal life.

Take care.

• Before my PLIF it seemed my pain levels had dropped and I remember asking the same question. I was told many of us magically feel better as surgery approaches. All I needed to remind me that things weren't right was to go to the grocery store or try to clean my house. The pain would always come back.

I am awaiting surgery and I range from 3-8. It swings constantly. If I post pone the meds due to work or driving (like tomorrow) I will be sure to load up on icy/hot and tylenol but anticipate having high pain when I return home at night.

• I also go throught what you are. I am going to see my 4th surgeon next monday to see what can be offered as far as newer advances in surgery. I have been in horrible pain for the last 3 days. When I am like this, I just want the surgey now!!!!! I have had this going back and forth thing for 3 years now. I do believe it is time for me to get this fixed.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    My surgery is Wednesday 2/3 and with heavy meds I vary between 4-7 (8 at some points late at night)
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • I'm going for a consult on monday with a neuro. Not sure what to do... It seems like the pain in my back is less and less but I know I have the issues going on in my back. I get a friendly reminder that it is still there every once in a while of a nasty pinch feeling in my lower back that sends the wave of pain down to my toes. I'm just worried that I am not in enough pain to have surgery yet I am worried that the least pain I have I am doing more and more work (I build homes) that I may be doing real damage to my nerves and back. My one disc at L4/L5 is so damaged it cannot possibly herniate any further... It has turned to scar tissue basically. My L5/S1 has started a transitional stage which is God's way of fusing on it's own and I have 2 more bulging discs that I just know are going to herniate... not a matter of if but when the way I go.

I am really torn.. and I have 2 small children. ages 2 and 2 months !!
advertisement