Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

texascowgirlttexascowgirl Posts: 535
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have determined clothing just gets on my nerves.In particular:pants that remotely touch my tummy and abdomen,bras,and the latest addition,socks and shoes.I prefer sundresses and flip-flops,so I will put sweaters over my dress,and look like a dork in Feb.Are there no socks that don't make marks on ankles?(I don't have fat ankles either).This hasn't reached the Mini-Meltdown yet,but stay tuned.I am just mini-venting to my spineys,who know what it is like to have these kinds of thoughts

• I like the really short/low sports socks. They don't make marks on my ankles at all. I know what you mean about clothes, they get on my nerves and I am never comfortable wearing them. I've been wearing work out clothes (black pajama-yoga type drawstring pant, a tshirt and sportsbra) to physical therapy and then just wearing pajamas at home. I run errands in my work out clothes... it's so cold here that my big winter coat covers me anyways so who cares if I'm in my pajamas in public.

What about wearing a nightgown at home, that will feel more like a sundress.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    I wonder if I should get a sundress to match my red pumps. Or just stick with my sweats?
    Jim :? :O =))
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • actually,I think sweats and pumps make more of a fashion statement!But you know,ya can't go wrong with a basic black sundress!--or red--Valentine's day is coming up.....That's true,Nose---I have some caftans that I wear at home---I have 1 particular pair of drawstring pants that are my favorite-wash and wear,wash and wear.I hadn't thought about the low socks,thank you.I know I notice things more right now,than when I am having a "normal"life---sigh
  • all of my socks leave marks but i have to wear 2 pair and slippers, my feet stay cold, even when it is 73 degrees in the house I have on 2 pair of socks and slippers. My Hubby thinks i am crazy but my feet are cold. I wore nightgowns or sweat pants a size to big and a t-shirt the first 2 months because I only left the house to get the mail or a walk around the block. When the weather got cold I still used the sweat pants but also invested in some warm pj's. Now I can wear jeans but I dont have an abdominal scar, just back.
    Jim keep a little variety in your wardrobe :lol:" alt=":lol:" height="20" /> you know sweats and pumps for casual wear and then silk with them for a little fancier look, keep the sundress for you know semi formal :rollinglaugh: you could really surprise your wife on Valentines day appearing in a matching dress and pumps :jawdrop: :laugh: :rollinglaugh:
    You guys are the best!! :applause:
    God bless and keep You :angel:
  • Was just looking at a French Fashion Magazine, and it all the new rage for men. Black, backless, silk sundresses with ORANAGE 3" sandals! Make sure you shave, you don't want to offend. TOFL!!!

Now I understand of so well, not being able to take anything tight around ones waist,or incision site. I really don't know how men, or women for that matter, can wear even loose sweatpants. For the last 3 yrs I have only worn dress, and nightgowns. I have tried loose sweatpants, and they kill me in an hour. I have tried bibs, but no go. Must be the weight.

I too have cold feet, and I wear 2 pair of socks. I also cover them with a minimun of 2 blanket is the summer, and 4 blankets in the winter. What I have found for sock to buy them a size to big with minimal top band on the socks. So I look like in the winter a total dork up here in WI. With my dress, sweater, longer socks, and slip on crocs. I must be one interesting site. LOL! But heck, at least I'm comfortable. LOL!

Take care all,
    Bobbi Jo

• Jim...you are crazy, everyone knows pumps are lousy for people with back issues...every spiney knows that 8} 8-}

Perhaps you need to exchange those pumps for red Mary Janes.

• Clothes are over-rated (my husband would agree).

I've noticed they are MORE annoying since my back issues. I have fallen in love with my Yoga pants, 2-layers of socks, and sweatshirts so I don't have to wear a bra. Oh, and I love my sneakers or my Merrils that are just comfy shoes.

Luckily socks don't bother me...yet.
  • I hate those socks that dig into my ankles, also. Not to mention, if the socks are too snug that causes more pain, due to the numbness.

Also I like long camisole tops. I wear them under most of my long sleeve tops. It is less painful, especially while I'm still having to wear my lumbar brace.

Oh, had to go by my medical drs office for lab work on Friday, and wore my house-shoes into the office by accident...10 weeks post-op now, and I really don't give a rip how I look. LOL Being comfortable takes on a whole new meaning.

• Funny how you never notice how annoying getting dressed and wearing clothes can be!!!! Now I understand why kids like to wear their pj's outside!

I'm a necky and its freezing in NYC. But of course, turtlenecks are out of the questions, shirts with that go straight across my throat...nope. My scarf....ouch. forget closing the top button of my coat!!!!

And oh...the necky joy of watching a funny movie only to feel as if your throat is swelling when the movie is over. :^o

But serious....I'd go for the red mary janes...just to keep your spine intact.

so other than clothing drama...how are you Jeannie?

• Yoga pants, sweats, nighties whatever comes out of the drawer. New balance makes some awesome super low socks. I can't stand high socks. Except when I was in 8th grade and eveyone wore tube socks with the school colors. Haha. I am lucky to have some very loose jeans that fit nicely over my brace so I don't have to look like a slob if I am going to do more than go wal mart or post office. I do NOT want to end on the people of wal mart website. Even though that is soooooooo funny.
  • I haven't tried them myself but diabetic socks are supposed to not leave marks on the skin

Jim - seeing as I have just been packing my brace friendly clothes on a back friendly shelf, your vision of a dress and pumps has had me chuckling
  • you all are so great-I love these clothing stories!I am so glad I am not the only one with clothing issues.My mom was very cold natured,and when I was young I would kid her about her comfy warm outfits.I would say I will NEVER wear that stuff!Well,you guessed it,I look in the mirror and see her.I am not a fan of tennis shoes anyway,so after I walk I rip them off----I have some comfy pumps-like mary janes-that I have used as slippers and regular wear.I tried wearing my cowboy boots---HAHAHAHAHAHAH-not even.I looked at the Merrils website,they look like they would be comfy---I have to be comfy and cute!
  • I can very much relate to the clothing issues. Like you, I am most comfy in sundresses... but I also love my yoga stuff.

My favorite place to shop since surgery is the Old Navy website. They have dresses, comfy capri pants, yoga pants, socks, scarves, etc. Their clothes feel great, wash and dry very well and they have flip-flops which match the colors of their logo... which is printed on the side of their comfy sweat pants! They also have the bra tops that match the colors of their printed logos. I purchased a pretty gold pair of flip-flops that just came out and I love them. Gold goes with pretty much everything.

Another great thing is they have "tall" sized pants and dresses. My legs are long and I despise high-waters for yoga or sweat pants... lol.

Good luck and happy shopping... :)

• Cowgirl -

Merrells are great! I have a pair of low hiking style shoes from them that are over 5 years old and you would never know it. They wear like iron, have great foot/arch support and make for very stable footing. Mine have a Thinsulate lining, keeps your feet nice & cozy this time of year. They were well worth the $'s.
  • Old Navy--I hadn't thought of them--I like their stuff too--Tammy,I know what you mean about the pants--I am 5'3",but our daughters are both 6'---they have always had a hard time finding pants that are long enough!
  • Merrills are the best! I have about 6 or 7 pairs, for different seasons, there's always a new p;air in the closet waitin g for me.

Traci: what's this Wal-Mart site you are talking about? I could use a good chuckle.

• Can anyone advise me if it is worth getting a couple of front fastening bras for post surgery?
    How do people manage with a back fastening one?

Aaron and Jim, how do you cope? Especially with your 'C' cup Aaron!

• front fastening are more comfortable for me anyway,but I am the wrong person to ask,since I hate clothes!
  • I've had an ALIF and PLIF and neither time did the back clasps give me a problem.
  • Ugh...when I find something I like and that fits, it's a celebratory moment. When my back really is hurting, I wear a lot of slip on types of shoes..sketcher slip on tennys, flipflops, an old pair of deck shoes. Nothing that requires getting down there to tie. I can usually be found in a velour sweatsuit. Very soft on the scar sites. I don't like things touching there because it feels so numbish. The sweatsuits are easy to put on also and with a top and then throw on the jacket, I'm good to go. Cowgirl, like you, in the Summer I just want sandals and a cotton sundress. With this weather, that's all we need. I've been meaning to ask you...is that restaurant, The Clay Pot, still in Krum? When I was a girl and lived in Denton, we used to go there. You and I are just up the road from each other. Do you use Doctors in Denton or what? As for socks, I find the little short ones are easiest to maneuver and get into. The hardest thing for me to wear at first was a bra, it took an act of Congress to get it on! Only people with back problems could understand.
  • Since I am having a fusion on my thoracic spine they are going to cut my side where my bra lays so I have to idea what I am going to do about wearing a bra.. I know that I won't be able to while in the hospital but I am to busty to go without a bra for to long.. I thought about a sports bra but they ride up more then bras.. I have no idea what to try.. Any ideas?

• I wonder if that would be more comfortable as there wouldn't be a strap at the tender level.
  • Oh Jellyhall, I just wear the stick on pasties like strippers have! Now my "D" cup Mrs, she put's her bra on backward. She fastens it in the front and then spins it around, puts her arms through the galluses and off she goes!

Ciao for now,
  • Hi Jeannie, sorry to hear your problem and you need to vent sometimes. I know my abdomen is sore and I find that I wear sweats a lot or something with elastic so it's not so tight on your tummy! Hope you feel better soon! Kevin
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    Once you've wore Merrill's, nothing else will do. I also have about 6,7 maybe 8 pairs. slides, slips, Low hikers, mid Hikers. It's about all I wear! Except for the red pumps of course. =))
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Red pumps...that's just nasty! HeHaw!!
  • That's what I do, and so am worried that as I spin it round, it will rub on, and hurt, my incision.

Has anyone had this trouble?
  • To answer jellyhall's question a few posts ago, unless you have problems fastening a bra now, you won't have problems after fusion. Your incision will not go above your waist unless you have a wild surgeon!!

• Thanks Gwennie, hopefully he'll keep himself under control!! He said that my incision would be 4-6 inches long, not sure how far up that will go.

This site does make me laugh!
  • Of course with low heeled red pumps! I have sketchers jump start and it's so comfortable to land on my heels which is memory foam. The only shoe that gets me walking and they make me 2" taller. Bonus. But I haven't had back surgery so probably not the best shoes for the girls. My husband want a pair but they're only made for women. I wear yoga pants with a wide band day in or out so I can just get up a go for a walk and not have to worry about dressing up.
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN