Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Aquatherapy anyone?

meydey321mmeydey321 Posts: 2,435
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Exercise and Rehab
I'm starting really soon and I would appreciate any experiences with aquatherapy. Does it wear you out more than regular PT? What type of exercise do you do? What is the first appt like? Do you get a massage at the end? I know that's a stretch ;) Thanks for your help :H

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,878
    I have used Aquatic Therapy several times.
    At first you think, gee, how difficult could it be being in the water doing some stretches, etc.
    But, I can tell you first hand, the first couple of sessions I had in the pool, I was exhausted and felt worse. I was about to call my doctor and tell her to forget about this form of therapy.

I am so glad I didnt. As the second and third week went by, I saw a big improvement in my thoracic and lumbar situations. I spent a year in Aqua Therapy with one Therapist working with me.

I graduated from their therapy program and I am now enrolled in their Independent Program. Basically, I use the same pool, I do the same type of stretching, walking and exercises, but I have a technician that watches over all the people in the independent program. So, its not 1 on 1. I could have joined other gyms that had aquatic pools ( has to be between 90 and 95 degrees, and at that heat, there needs to be someone trained in CPR , those portable heart defribrilltor on hand)

I like staying with the independent program, only because you do get supervised and the folks there now you and can tell you when you are doing something right or wrong....

I think you will love the aqua therapy treatments.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I survived my first session but it was mainly evaluating my ROM, muscle testing, and going over my history. Unfortunately we ran out of time for me to get in the pool but I'll will next time. I am so looking forward to getting into that nice warm water. My back and legs are so sore just from the exam and I sure could have used a dip in the pool. Also, I am in awe of your progress with aquatherapy and I hope to do as well as you. Take care :H
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    I just wrote a post and poof! gone! boy, that ticks me off. I can't type and it takes me to long anyway!
    So as I was saying. My brother had a 3 level fusion and his surgeon ordered aqua therapy. He loved it. Unlike Ron, they started out real slow. In the beginning they just had you walking in 4 ft. of water. And then they went on to the harder stuff. I'm hoping to get that therapy this time. My old surgeon didn't believe in any therapy other than walking. The pompous Ba$sturd said he didn't want anyone screwing up his work!
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • i have terrible stenosis throughout my spine. i can only take 30 steps with a walker or crutches. but in the water i find i can move fairly well. i dont get as sore as i do with land therapy. the pool is 87 degrees and four ft deep. there is a whirlpool i use to get warm and loose before the session. i walk forward, backward and sideways 4 lengths each. then i do strengthening and stretching in the water. i like it so much i stay 1 to two hours later after the scheduled session. its fun and it loosens you up better than land exercises

• Last year I went through a water therapy program one on one with a physical therapist. I just restarted again at the same pool independently. Its the only place I can walk for any length of time. The water is so warm, feels great. I also take one of the styrofoam noodles, wrap it around me and hang in the deep end. Great traction.

• the noodles are so helpful. you feel like youre peddling a bike but you can close your eyes and really relax. no pain no strain!!!

• I was supposed to go to pool therapy but had a bad day that day. I think I'll call the PT and let him know I'm still interested. I really have to get moving. I hope they have a noodle there I may have to get something like that. I hope you enjoy the pool therapy. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • but i found it too much like hard work .so all i do is swimm at my own pace as and when i can
  • looks like even swimming sends me to back pain hell i have been two times this week and i am close to tears today {this is two days since my last swim}.its just not fair i try to help myself but every time i do i hurt ..whats the 8l00d7 point!!
  • Thank you so much for your replies and interest. I've been out for a few weeks because my computer crashed (again) and have been busy adjusting to aquatherapy.

So far I enjoy it very much because the staff is patient with me and very professional. They are anti "no pain,no gain" and we go at our own pace since everybody is different. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the hot tub after my exercises too. I've also been walking forward and backwards, sideways, working on the parallel bars in the deeper end,etc. When I get shots of pain they make me stop what I'm doing and performs moves to lessen the pain. Some days I was like "No way I can't make it in today" but I pushed myself to show up because I know they will do their best to help. I admit the pain climbed up as expected and it's been difficult at times, but I really want to achieve a couple goals: better mobility and posture.

Catch you all next time and thanks again, Meydey