Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Not ready to talk to the doc but afraid I must.......

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Chronic Pain
Hello all......

Well, this is only post number 2 but I joined for a very specific reason and those are to get some advice.

I am 30 years old and used to be relatively active. I was a high school wrestler with collegiate potential. I instead chose to join the military.

During my youth (not that I am old by any means) I had an accident where I slid on black ice and into a tree in my mothers van. I was fine and never went to the doctor or hospital. I wasn't wearing a seatblet and litterally bent the steering wheel in the direction the impact threw me.

Aside from that, I never had any serious incidents and that one didn't even faze me. I wasn't even sore afterwards.

Here is where my dilema begins......

Over the past couple of years I have noticed random pains that have progressively gotten worse. They started off relatively light and came and went with the wind.

I mentioned them on occassion to my primary doc and many times I couldn't specificaly say I get this pain when I do this or even that I get random pains "right here." Many time I forget myself to even mention them.

Well, in 2000 I began having severe back pains that would have me up all night stretching to relieve them. I went to one chiropractor who told me it was one thing and I needed this one treatment and then to another after that didn't work. Each time I was told something different. I litterally went to 5 different doctors/chiropractors and got 5 different diagnosis. Eventually I became known as a "drug seeker" and I couldn't get into a new doc.

On Christmas Eve of 04 I wound up in the ER. I sat in the ER for 8 hours with out being seen by a doc. By this time the pain had subsided and I walked out.

Almost a year later to the day I was back in the ER. This time I was sent home after a few hours and was asked to return if it got worse. I was back in the next day and 4 days later I was having my gall bladder removed. Since then, the back issues had disapated..... My current doc, some one since 03, was the one to thank!

I am sorry for the long winded post but I want to be as thourogh as possible.....

Since August, I have been experiencing random pains and some rather consistent pains. I am afraid to tell my doctor for several reasons. Mainly because men are supposed to be men and work hard which I do and the last thing I need is someone telling me I can't work...... So, here is a list of my issues.

1. Right elbow:
- Sharp pain in the crevice of the elbow if that makes sense. It is the worst when I extend it or move my right hand from side to side with my palm paralell to the ground. This one has been constant since August and is worse after I have been working on my quad. Sometimes it's so bad I can't straighten my arm.

2. Joints:
- Knees: Laying on my side causes my knees to hurt severely. Walking or standing causes severe achiness. Sometimes when I am sitting with them extended sometimes I feel like my tendons are tearing and I get a burning sensation.
- Ankles: These aren't too bad but standing or walking causes severe achiness.
- Hips: Occassional sharp pains and achiness
- Shoulders: I did not mention this above because I forgot (much like I do at the docs office) but I have had 2 shoulder surgeries on my left shoulder. The first was ffor a torn rotator cuff and second for a torn tendon. Now both shoulders hurt occassionally (right just as bad as left)
- Fingers: Sometimes they are fine and others they feel like they are locking up on me.

3. Upper torso:
- I constently have severe flank pain on both sides. Nothing specificaly triggers it and can happen while laying or sitting.
- Random chest pains and pains behind my shoulder blades. Mainly under the left shoulder blade and in the muscle to the left of my spine.

4. Neck:
- Turning my head to the left causes sharp pains in the muscles and tightness
- Constantly feel the need to "pop" my neck
- Occassional headaches but nothing major

I am sure I forgotten something but that is how it is.... A lot of time it is a random pain that may last 30 seconds or 30 minutes.

What prompted me to register with this board is something that has happened over the last couple of days.

The other day I was driving home and got a sharp pain in my right leg that started on the top of my shin and radiated to the right side of my calf. It lasted about 10 minutes.

Tonight I was sitting on the couch and started experiencing a throbbing pain on the inside of my left thigh. It lasted about 3 minutes and then gone.

Right now I am getting a shooting pain just above my left knee on the inside my leg.....

I feel like I am 90 years old and starting to get scared. I don't want any medication, just to go away. I am afraid if I say something I will be told get test after test run and rack up a ton of medical debt that I can't pay. Fortunately I have decent insurance but I don't want to stack it up!

Any suggestions or ideas? I will try anything!!!!

Once again, thank you!

• I'm sorry you're having all this pain. I think you should tell your Primary Dr. you're having this pain all over and maybe a referral to a Rheumatologist at least to get specialized blood tests and x-rays done. Just let the Dr. know when and where you're having the pain or any numbness in your joints. Have you ever had an MRI of your neck or spine? I hope you find the cause. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • As you say in the notion of seeking another opinion we end up sometimes with five differing ones and more confused that when we started. We have to find someone that we trust to deal with our pain and one opinion is just that and should not be used to taint all our future consultations. Managing pain has to be progressive and logical and move from a known diagnosis to potential treatment review and continued progress. Wise patients pick the best option and try to steer clear of a catch all process, knowing what treatment will work and which will not can only be assessed once you have been in receipt of its possibilities, we all have to open and support of adaptation and change to new and realistic ideas.

It is never easy not being acknowledged in the pain that we have and much evidence and experience is here that some chronic pain goes untreated initially. Our initial objective is to reduce the pain and be accepted that the things we say are true, I have been fortunate that my own pain has always been acknowledged and it must be so difficult when from the start our motives are questioned.

Once the notion of pain is within us it is understandable that any changes are heightened, try to be specific with your doctor may give them the best chance to find what may be the original cause of all these symptoms. I presume it was only one person who suggested that you need for drugs was more paramount than addressing your condition, we do become stressed and anxious at these times and may have waited considerable time to make and express a view.

What was the reason you moved from doctor to doctor, although we have all had moments when we may not agree with a suggested route of treatment, finding a good and working relationship can be problematic and time consuming, target one issue with your doctor and try not to overwhelm them with all those ongoing symptoms that are part and the nature of chronic pain itself.

I still write down my questions so as not to become distracted and focused on what I mean to say once that emotion starts.

Take care, John

• Welcome,

All I can think to say is it could be anything for chronic fatigue syndrome to any number of other problems. (honestly the elbow sounds like "tennis elbow") Tennis elbow won't heal unless it gets a rest, can take quite a while for it to calm down.

You need to go see your PCP and express exactly what you have just expressed here!

Print the post! Take it with you. You say men are supposed to just suck it up and work through it. Well, I mean this in a kind way, it is time to suck it up and go see a doctor!!! Yes, tests are likely. We've all had our share and then some here, so come back and commiserate, complain and ask the questions you need to ask!
This discussion has been closed.