Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

fusing below 2 bulging discs???

salty444ssalty444 Posts: 149
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Anyone out there have a lumbar fusion that was below 2 more bulging discs? I am assuming that would be a recipe for disaster.

• Hi Salty

I had an L5-S1 fusion MI TLIF (transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion), I think you've been asked to consider TLIF from your signature. I had L3-4, L4-5 issues as well. From what I've read here, a lot of spineys have issues w/ adjacent levels as well.

Unfortunately w/ DDD, there is a 'degenerative cascade", one disc goes and then the rest start to go from the increased pressure - like the domino effect; push one and the others fall. Yes, there is a risk that adjacent disc levels will be stressed further from a fusion, my OSS discussed this at length w/ me and I had to factor this in when making a decision on whether I'd go forward w/ surgery.

L5-S1 was the worst area, my S1 nerve root was severely compromised, had spondy in this area. OSS did a lammie/decompression on L4-5, didn't do any work on L3-4.

I'm doing well tho' it's still early in the process for me. I don't have the pain I did before, I've regained most of my neurologic function back in the leg/foot and I find I continue to improve each week.
    Has my back changed, you bet! Will it ever be 'normal' - no, the mechanics are changed forever w/ fusion. I figure as long as I'm mindful of these changes and am careful, I can hopefully have a long term/permanent 'fix'.

• Hi Salty-I had a posterior spinal fusion 2 years ago at L3-L4,and 5 weeks ago I had an anterior/posterior at L4-L5--and he redid the screws at the L3-4 level.As pfd says,changed body mechanics have to become a way of life,which is an ongoing learning process---let us know!
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    In 03 I was to have a 3 level anterior posterior 360 degree fusion from L4 down. In looking at the MRI with the surgeon,I said well the next one up doesn't look verry good to me, certainly not 100% And I asked him to fuse that also because I never wanted to have to go through this again. The insurance denied because it wasn't bad enough so he did the original surgery.
    And 10 mos. later that one went bad. And in 13 mos. I was having to go through the same motions. And what do you think the next disc up from that looked like? Same thing!
    And that disc went out in another 12 mo.
    By now I had so much scar tissue plaque and calcium deposits that I wasn't a candidate for further surgery.
    Only when the XLIF lateral procedure was approved. did I become a surgery candidate.
    No one is completely worthless, they can always serve as a bad example!
    And I hope this serves as a eye opening example to everyone (especially the insurance co) Because they have paid about 3 times as much as they would have!
    And I've needlessly suffered for years and through way more surgeries than I should have.
    Someone should be HUNG!
    Good luck, Jim X(

Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!