Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I'll try just about anything!

FROGFFROG Posts: 393
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Okay, not actually back or spine surgery so I understand completely if you need to move this or tell me "sorry this is not the right place for this." But I need some help here.

I just had abdominal surgery yesterday.
During a routine spine x-ray for my spine they found something that had to be taken care of in the abdomen. I have had 4 LAPAROSCOPICALLY done surgeries on my abdomen in the past, this one being my 5th. As far as the horrid CO2 gas pains in the side, shoulder, arms, neck and face? This is, by far, the worst I have ever experienced.

They did not send me home with anything for pain because of the pain meds I was on for the back. Okay, I can understand that. Honestly, I can handle the 3 small incisions in the upper abdomen and cut muscles. But the CO2 they use to blow up your abdomen that has to find it's way out? OMG!

I am walking when I can and taking in fluids but sometimes it is so bad it is literally paralyzing. The pain literally stops me in my tracks and takes my breath away to go from one position to another. Just raising my arm is excruciating. Has anyone experienced this before? Any hints to make it go away quicker?

I'll try just about anything!

Somebody quick refill my cup!

• Walking and moving around is the best thing to take care of the CO2 problem. At least that is what I was told. If it doesn't start easing off though, you should call the doc and be checked out. Do you have any other bad symptoms other than the pain? What kind of abdominal surgery? The reason I ask is that if you had a surgery that could cause a bile leak, this leaves severe pain when the bile sloshes around in your belly every time you move. And that is very serious. Very rare, so likely not an issue here, so please don't panic and think that is what you have going on. Just be aware.

As you know, some gas pain is normal after abdominal surgery. It should be getting better though. If not, go get checked out.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Warm liquids like tea or herbal tea or even hot water with lemon may help as well as walking. I had severe pain after a colonoscopy I know it's a whole different area but had relief from a warmed fleet enema. Of course if it continues follow up with your Doctor. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • double post sorry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thanks so much, I will try the rocking and warm liquids as well as continuing to try to move around. Believe me, I have recovered from many a BIGGER surgeries than this and thought this would be a snap. Shame on me for getting cocky. I DO NOT EVER REMEMBER BEING THIS MISERABLE AND IN THIS MUCH PAIN. Between the gas pains and the extreme pain every time I move...gggrrrrr

I can't imagine there is bile leakage. But then I wouldn't know for sure. Not your run of the mill abdominal surgery. They had to go in and remove a piece of surgical equipment that was left in there from a previous surgery. I called it my alien transmitter. All and all I feel like I've been run over by an Alien Space Ship!
  • literally you to need expel that gas faster. That means letting it out of 1 of the 2 places it can. So burping and farting really do help. Some people are told they can take Gas-X or Beano etc... It will naturally dissipate in a couple of days through your body. The above speeds up the process.

Don't lay around. That is the worst. Go walk, rock, move. That seems to be the old standby answer for everything these days.

If you had liver surgery. Keep in mind that your liver doesn't have pain, per say. But you'll get pain anywhere else in your body.
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Hi Betty. I hope that you're feeling better. I know exactly the kind of pain you're going through. The only things I know to do are the same as all the others have already told you. I hope that it gets better soon. It shouldn't last much longer but if it does maybe you should call your doctor.

Take care,
  • Thanks for all your responses. I WAS SO looking forward to getting that thing out of me. Right now? Not so much.

I am going back and forth from pacing the floors to rocking my way to the moon and back. Needless to say, my back is not appreciating any of this horrendous treatment. Of course, if I lay completely flat and completely still I get complete relief from EVERYTHING, until I move.

I will give it the rest of today. Tomorrow I will call the doctor if it's not better. I am sure I just need a bit more time.

Thanks again!
  • edited

Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Edited by moderator paulgla

• If it is truly just from the c02 you need to get it out,I know how painful gas pains can be, hysterectomy, c-section, bladder surgery, colonoscopies, and gastric bypass, that has left never ending gas issues. The pain can be paralyzing, worse then some of my back/nerve pains. I have gotten over the embarrasment associated with the gas issues, I try to leave the room, but with my new limited mobility, I often dont make it, I do what I have to and apologize. I have gone to the ER with the pain thinking it was my heart, never again, now thats embarrasing and expensive :)
    I have often just gently pushed/rubbed on my stomach to help get it moving, like a baby needing a burp or with colic, but I dont have anyone to pat my back or butt :)
    Good luck and Let it out :D you will feel better, even if no one else does :laugh:
    God Bless and keep you... deflated? :)
  • Hope you feel better. Charry
  • Thanks for all your suggestions.
    The Co2 is finally leaving. All the surgical pains I can handle. It's obvious he did some cutting in there.
    Now I just need the room to STOP SPINNING or is it my head? I'm not so sure. I certainly hope it will all pass soon.

Feeling kinda Froggy
  • When I start and stop pain meds I get that spinning feeling. Just hang on for the ride.