Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

6 Month - Spinal Fusion Surgeon Appt.

fusscaboobffusscaboob Posts: 10
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Today, Feb. 2, 2010, I had a visit with my surgeon. Surgery date was July 19, 2009. It has been a little over 6 months, and I feel great.
I was involved in a motorcycle accident and had fractured T11 & T12. My spine was left in an unstable state and I could not stand up. The surgeon decided to best correct and ensure proper healing, because it was a tramatic injury, a fusion is what needed to be done. I was in excrutiating pain at the time in my back as well as other broken bones, but my back was the worst injury I sustained, so I didn't question anything.
He fused my back from T8 - L3 (3 vertabrae above and below the fractures), also used pedicle screws and rods in T8,9,10 and L1,2,3, to keep my spine stable during the fusing process.
I stopped taking pain meds in probably end of August '09, and haven't looked back.
At the appt. today he basically told me everything is fused or very close to completely fused, and I won't need to schedule regular visits with him anymore, to call the office and make an appointment if I have any issues in the future.
Gave me a prescription for physiotherapy and sent me packing.
I've been wearing a TLSO Brace for the last 6 months, he told me to wean off wearing it until i'm comfortable without it.
My whole question really is that my back still feels kinda weak. Not nearly as bad as even 1 month after surgery but no where near as strong as it was before the accident. With physiotherapy will my back strength feel more like it used to? Its kinda worrying me that its going to feel this weak forever.
If anyone has undergone this type of surgery and been through the whole recovery process can you let me know what you think of the situation. I have no pain at all, maybe some minor muscle soreness but nothing that bothers me.

• I did not have extensive surgery like you did, only 2 level fusion, and not from a traumatic injury, but I have a good friend that had almost the same thing. He was involved in a skydiving accident and had explosion fractures at multiple levels and had 7-8 levels fused with hardware, he also had nerve damage. He is a fireman and after surgery he went into a rehab facilty and did major physical therapy afterwards. He is a fireman and was back to work in 6 months, he had to take a fit for duty test to be reinstated but he is great now. He said that he always has a little bit of minor pain in his back but is going strong. He had to work really hard though to get his strength back after all of the injuries, but he did it! Hope this helps a little, good luck to you!