Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post surgery Meds

kitkat0928kkitkat0928 Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have been lurking here on and off for a while. This forum helped me become well informed about potential treatments for my back pain. I appreciate reading everyone else's experiences!
I had a TLIF at L5-S1 at the end of June 2009. I had been in increasing amounts of pain until I simply couldn't function. While I'm not sure I could have ever been fully prepared for the amount of pain involved in the fusion (for the first two days after surgery, I just cried....that was with the morphine pump!), I am so glad I had it done. Within a matter of weeks, I was functioning better than I had prior to surgery. I pushed myself and was back at work in 4 weeks. I still am very careful about bending, lifting, and twisting, but am able to function pretty well. My body still lets me know if I'm overdoing it...and I have learned to listen!
Post op, I was taking neurontin, Robaxin, and Hydrocode 10/500. The neurontin didn't do anything for me, so I stopped taking that with my surgeon's okay pretty quickly. I am now 7 months post op. I weaned myself off the Robaxin completely about a month ago and have transitioned to 7.5/500 Hydrocodone 3 times a day. I had an appt with my surgeon today (got rescheduled for tomorrow morning) and knew I would run out of meds last Saturday. I thought I'd be fine for a couple of days without, so I didn't call for a refill. Clearly, I was overconfident. I am in a lot of pain. I have a good friend who had a fusion at the same level I did a year prior and she said she was taking meds regularly for about 9 months. I am curious....at what point did others who have had fusions stop taking pain medication regularly?

• Hi Kitkat!Wow,it sounds like you are very brave and determined to be well!I had a spinal fusion 2 years ago,and one 5 weeks ago.I took Hydrocodone about 6 months after the surgery.I didn't have nerve problems,so that is the only medicine I took.I can tell you I could have used it longer,but the dr. really didn't want me on it any longer.I know there are other spineys who can help you better than I-I just want to welcome you,and let me know how you are doing-Jeannie
  • for the welcome and sharing your experience.
    I am determined to be well! I am confident that I am doing pretty well and am looking forward to being narcotic free in the near future!
  • I do very poorly on medications (I throw up, big-time) - I am NOT the standard here, just one example.

I was done with the Roxicodone within 3-4 weeks post-op. I stretched out the Robaxin rx for 3 months (supposed to have been a 3 week supply) but I did get a Valium muscle-relaxer rx at that 3 month mark due to some muscle spasms I was still having. That bottle lasted a long long time as well.

Since then I do take Tylenol PM to get past the daily aches and pains long enough to fall asleep.

After my recent hardware removal I stopped the Roxicodone within 2 days of my hospital release, the Robaxin within 1 week. I've not started with the Tylenol PM yet, I'm usually SO exhausted from going back to work so soon post-op that I fall into bed and get a good 4 hours of sleep right of the bat. Four hours is about it though. Wish it was more, but the Tylenol PM won't help me get more than the 4 hours and I can't take it in the middle of the night because it'll last past my wake-up time.

Anyway - like I said, not your typical post-op medication story. Maybe if my stomach tolerated things better it would be different. As it is I'll take pain over nausea almost any day.