Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New type of Extended Relief Med

DaveNHDDaveNH Posts: 58
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Pain Medications
When at my PCP today, we always discuss meds and I mentioned to her that I heard that the makers of Oxycotin
had changed something about the pills that was not approved by the FDA and that it was easier now to extract the oxy part out of the pill. I think I heard about this from an email from the Ban-Oxy forums. (Might have been propaganda) She said that the makers of one of the extended relief meds have just started to maufacture special pills that are made of two parts, the outer part contains the pain killer but the inner part contained some thing else that caused the pain killer to stop working, an anti-something.
She said it was for those abusers that chewed or crushed/snorted their oxys. She said it was expensive. Has any one else heard about this new way of delivering meds to the body?
The idea is that the pain killer is absorb first and then the body just passes the other stuff with no effect on the pain killer. (It isn't subutex or suboxone.)
(I know that some say that mentioning meds is a red flag but in my case, my PCP and I have a fantastic relationship.
She calls me a fews days after any med changes and we talk on the phone like buds! Does your PCP ask about your family and work and what about those Patriots! We both agree that the oxy abuse problem needs to be addressed and she thinks that this is a start. She says it gives her some tools she can use. I am so gratefull to her and her staff.) If any one in Southern New Hampshire needs a GREAT PCP, PM me.

• Sounds like she was talking about Embeda, which was approved last year, I think. It's extended release morphine sulfate combined with naltrexone.

EMBEDA™ contains pellets of an extended-release oral formulation of morphine sulfate, an opioid receptor agonist, surrounding an inner core of naltrexone hydrochloride, an opioid receptor antagonist indicated for the management of moderate to severe pain when a continuous, around-the-clock opioid analgesic is needed for an extended period of time.

Crushing, chewing, or dissolving EMBEDA™ will also result in the release of naltrexone which may precipitate withdrawal in opioid-tolerant individuals.
    If my memory is working right tonight, the company that developed Embeda is also working on FDA approval for a drug called Remoxy, which is an "abuse proof" extended release formulation of oxycodone. They're supposedly going to resubmit it to the FDA sometime this year, after it got bounced last year for lacking some non-clinical information.

I could be wrong about which company is which though, because there's another company developing an "abuse proof" extended release oxycodone called Acurox and they also got bounced by the FDA last year for also lacking some non-clinical information and are also supposedly resubmitting this year.

• Although she did not mention the meds by name, what you posted is exactly what we talked about. She said she prefers morphine as it's easy to dupe the UA when some one is on oxycotin. I never knew that, I thought a opiod was an opiod and would show up on the tests.
    Thanks for the info!
  • Just a little correction in my last post.. apparently Acurox is an "abuse proof" immediate release oxycodone, not extended release.

Apparently if a person tries to dissolve the tablet to inject it, it releases a gel agent that turns the tablet to a pile of goo that's unsuitable for anything.

It also has a combination of ingredients that are inactive orally, but that cause severe irritation of the nasal passages if it's crushed and snorted.

And lastly, it contains niacin; patients have no reaction to the niacin when it's taken as prescribed, but if they take extra tablets the excess niacin causes flushing, itching, sweating, chills, and a generally yucky feeling overall.

And no doubt, it'll cost a small fortune compared to regular IR oxycodone, if it gets approved. @)

• I have been following this subject for some time.

I feel both ways about it - A. a part of me is happy so that those who need it will no longer be looked "down" upon for seeking a high/thrill

B. happy the abusers won't be happy with this mixture

C. Really upset that the cost of the abusers will get pushed right on to us and the abusers will just find a new cheaper way to get their thrills ! ~X(
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.