Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I am having probs

factoryratffactoryrat Posts: 106
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have a fever almost everyday, DR days its OK, go get staples out Monday (will see him then). I can't seem to keep my pain in control until my next dose time. The hand thing got better, but I cant open my med bottles and my wife wants them on the child proof side. Damn, I was doing so good, I can feel my spirit breaking. The longest I have sleep has been 3 hours , but usually less. It's only been 15 days since surgery. I have no appetite, quite frankly I'm freaking out. Wife just took temp and I am normal!Took me a good 5 minute to open a Gatorade bottle last night cause I did not want to wake my wife up. . I don't cry much, but have cried more the past 2 weeks than the last 5 years. I don't even know what I expect writing this. If this ain't the bottom I got to be close. I can't even find one of those moments I was talking about. I wish somebody could help me. Dr. has me going back to the assembly line in 4 months instead of the minimum 6 he had said.I am so embarrassed and ashamed I was so OK to now be so miserable.
No DR will say I can go back to the factory, but they say I can do whatever I want. Then I ask a couple of examples and the say probably not, or my favorite you need to have realistic expectations. I wanted to enjoy the rest of my life with my wife, I was set up to retire @55, have a pension and have always put money in my 401K. Now what, I read the paperwork before I turned it in. The only way I could afford to go out on medical for this surgery was to sell my dad's 442.I don't know what to do I see no hope. When I came up here I swore I would never live in a mobile home again, and I would never eat hominy.

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. I don't know what surgery you had or even really have any advice for you. Just wanted you to know someone is listening. I have heard of a lot of people who go through a set back/depression about two to three weeks post op. Please try not to worry so much. I know how hard that is when you're unable to work. The stress will only increase your pain though. Hopefully the doctor will have good news for you.
    Take care and good luck.

• factory,what surgery did you have?
  • I have no real words of wisdom but I hope things start looking up for you. I worked my way up from a poor childhood, myself, and am more than a little worried about my job. It is also frustrating looking into my future and worrying about the impact this will have on my life.

It is particularly hard with back problems because people can't always see the pain you're in.

Anyway, I'm sorry things are so rough right now for you. I hope all will be better soon.

• Sorry to heat this......my father in law had same thing you are experiencing. ..... just to let you know a year later he is nearly back to full capacity. He could not even turn faucet in bathroom on.....keep your head up
  • Dude,
    First off, take a breath! Calm down. It's 15 days after surgery; you ain't gonna get fired. I'm not sure what surgery you had(please tell us) BUT, according to the Family & Medical Leave Act, an employer must grant you at least 12 work weeks of unpaid leave in a 12 month period for serious medical conditions. At least. Any company that's worth working for will go longer than that. Read up on it at www.dol.gov (Dep't of Labor)
    Second, what are you ashamed of? If you needed surgery, then you needed it! Fifteen days into it is WAY to early to be freaking out. It's going to be OK. How can I say that? 'Cause I'm in nearly the same boat. I came from beyond poor. I hate hominy. And over years I have managed to work into a pretty good paying job with a top company. I am 3 months into lumbar fusion and I don't know when or if I'll get back to work at the plant. Thing is, it IS going to be OK. How can it be otherwise? If I keep my job.. great. If I have to do something new, then it'll be an opportunity. Same for you. Even if we (you or I ) wind up "poor" again, realize that it's much more important to be a good person than how much stuff you can buy. I had one time fallen into that trap of thinking that the bank account made the man, and then I learned better. Where you're at..it ain't the bottom. You got a wife, house, job and insurance. That ain't so bad. The pain? I'm sure that sucks and you have a right to cry about that. Calm down, get as informed as you can about your job options.
    Do you have long term or short term disability insurance?
    I don't mean to sound like a hard ass or anything. I just want you to know that others are in your shoes and we are going to be alright. So are you.

• One other thing - it only makes everything worse when you worry about them.

Try some calming and breathing exerciese. Realize that you are still REALLY early in your recovery. It's compeletly normal to freak out about now, I think most of us have been through it. You can get to the other side of this, take each day one day at a time.

Be smart, do talk to your dr. about your pain levels, realizing that your stress is probably ratcheting the pain up a few notches. Maybe have the doc write up an rx for a stress reliever as well as trying some different pain meds.

Do what you can to get some sleep. Your lack of sleep is going to make matters worse as well (another reason to get a stress-reducing rx). I took Melatonin to help me sleep post-op. It's a mild sleeping aid and mood elevator that you can get in the herb section at most stores.

My nurse strongly suggested I go on anti-depressants for 3 months post-op. Depression is a totally natural reaction to the invasion of such a hard-on-your-body and painful surgery as a fusion.

In the meantime - do let us know more details on your surgery, I'm sure there is one of us that has had almost the same thing done. We've been through it, we can give you real experiences and help you get through the crazy days ahead.

p.s. ASK FOR HELP when you need it. There is no shame in asking. You've had major surgery, you'll need help for a while yet. just say thanks and be appreciative - it goes a long way for your care-givers :)
  • I'm sorry this is worrisome now. maybe your Dr. will let you go on longer on sick leave. Find out also your Long term disability benefits through your Union Rep. I'm on LTD for 2 years now and I'm afraid I may not be able to return to work. It's important you get sleep for your healing as well as eating nutrious food. Please speak with your Dr. on how you're feeling. I hope you're feeling better soon. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hey there,

You aren't alone. FMLA (the law mentioned above) in the US is there to protect you. If you are in the US, you just have to file a disability claim (which you should do if you haven't and if no one directed you to, call your HR person and ask for informatio on how to do that). It protects you for a period of time for things like this.

And, I don't know what procedure you had but sounds like you are early in the recovery. It's tough. it's tough to need other people for help and I've found it was a huge lesson in accepting and asking for help. I'm still working on it but realizing this is a chance for me to learn that asking for help doesn't mean you are weak.

I would talk to your doctor about the mood/depression. I would also cut yourself some slack. With spine stuff...it can seem to be 3 steps forward and 2 steps back. You are just in the 2-steps back 'period'. This too, shall pass. But let your doctor know. Be honest with the pain you are in, be honest that you had surgery and it's ok to hurt while you recover, be honest that you are depressed so that the doctor can help. The surgery, disability, meds, and slow recovery can wear on a person. That adds stress, which in turn adds to depression.

So, first things first
    1 - plan out what you will cover with your doctor
    You need better pain management, you need help with depression, and you need him to help you understand what to expect for the high and low times. Sometimes, when we hurt and didn't expect it, it's 2X as bad.

2 - call your employer and ask them how to file a disability claim. It is not saying you are disabled but it is an FMLA disability protective claim. The rule is generally if you are out 'sick' for more than 7 consecutive days, you should file a claim. I have filed one for my upcoming surgery b/c I'm unsure. I didn't think I needed to because I have plenty of sick time.
    Luckily my HR reminded me that I need to file no just because of money but to protect my job. She told me that this way, my manager cannot try to replace me if my performance drops. She said that the law is protecting my job. They can't try to move me out or to another job while I'm under the protective period.

3 - Talk to your wife. I'm sure she wouldn't mind being woken up for some gatorade. Or, ask her to loosen a bottle before going to bed. Could the kids spill it? Sure...but if it means you have a chance of getting a drink you want at night while she's sleeping it's worth the risk.

4 - come here to vent even if you aren't sure you want to hear feedback. Sometimes venting is all I need to clear my stress.

• Norm,

I understand your fears. I finished my FMLA in Oct, so now I am on an accomadation medical leave. I am worried about my job too. And stress makes everything so much worse. I also went thru a serious post surgical depression. They are not uncommon. I cried about everything, I know I am a chick and all guys think chicks cry all the time, but i am not a whining crying person, so I knew something was wrong. I would also suggest a request to see PCP if surgeon is too slow to get you some relief. And 15 days is too soon to tell anything about your surgery yet.

Best Wishes,
  • I did not have an appetite until 2 weeks ago (I'm 10 weeks postop fusion), and still not back to normal. Still have difficulty just picking up a gallon of tea, and I think that is 8 lbs.

Gwennie told me that I would probably start feeling much better between 2-3 months, and I really believe that to be true. I have to rest several times a day, and doing simple household tasks really fatigue me, and cause pain, so I must pace myself everyday.

When you allow yourself to just take care of your most basic of needs, you will heal more quickly.

You are going to feel much better just getting those staples out :-)

• the more you worry about your job the more pain you will be in.As for myself If it came down to my health or my job. My health would win. you can always find a job.(maybe not what you are use to getting paid ) But you only have one life to live. I choose to be pain free. Or as close as I can be.
    good luck and wishing to to be pain free
  • You are dealing with stuff that is so "normal" for us spiney and neckies. You had a doozy of a surgery and are so fresh in your recovery.

Its OK to cry, be frustrated, depressed, etc. These are all emotions that go with the territory. Don't be embarassed:I'm almost 3 months out of my 2 level ALIF and still had a mini meltdown this morning feeling sorry: not for myself, but for my family and what I "can't" do with them. Then I had to remind myself of what I CAN do with them and started to feel better.

Give yourself time to heal. Let your Dr. know your meds aren't helping and how you are feeling. For awhile I had to slightly up my depression meds to help me cope better. Then I went back down to my original dosage; these last few days (and winter!) have had me thinking I should have stayed at the higher dosage for a bit longer.

Anyway, there are so many kind and helpful people on this site. Post as often as you need to, we care. Sometimes I just feel better typing it out and hitting "send". I'll be thinking of you and hope for better days ahead, take care

• i'm sorry you're feeling crappy. i forgot if you can or can't curse on here. it's been a while. i meant to say shxtty. because there's a big difference, ya know. lol.

i had my last surgery over a year ago... things have been up, down, up, down, meh. the first month or two after surgery is always depressing... but a lot of it has to do with the psychological effect of regular use of pain meds. most people refuse to believe that, but it's factual. as for the physical end... it varies so much. some people have surgeries && can't get out of bed for a week. others, who are too impulsive && impatient, like me haha, are out of bed the morning after they get home from the hospital && go shopping. hey,... i needed some things. heating pads && candy don't just purchase themselves!!! anyway, everyone has their own ways of dealing with physical and emotional pain. nothing to feel bad about. if someone sees your frustration && hurt, so what. if they have been through it, they empathize. if they haven't, they can't even sympathize because they have no idea what it's like, and in all actuality their opinions are baseless and worthless and pointless and lots of other words that end in less.

i have adhd so i'm not good at addressing all key points in any given post... but to sum it all up, i hope you're doing better... and i hope you've got enough strength left to kick some booties if you're getting f-d over financially, or insurance-wise. if not, it's been a while since mine. and hey, if i can climb up on my kitchen counter to get candy from the top of the cabinets (true story), and get my pant leg stuck on the knob of a drawer on the way down && partway hang from the damn thing... i think i could handle some insurance boobs for you. call me up. 1-800-wonderklutz's_hitwoman_services. yes, that's right. i put " _ " in a phone number. you have to dial them too or you won't be able to reach me.
  • oh, && painkiller, you look like chuck norris. i like that.
  • Hey, I think you were on to something when you said that "you miss Ford about as much as they miss you." My dad worked for Ford in St. Louis in the late '60's. He made good scratch, but hated the work. Finally one day, he says "that's it", packed his lunch box and never worked for any company a day in his life after that. He decided to work his own company. Now we had some poor azz times (and some better ones, too), but no matter how bad things got financially, he never ONCE mentioned regretting leaving Ford.

I'm sending positive voodoo your way. And keep writing. I'll be interested to see how your case develops!

• Norm, Well DAM*....I have heard that regualar Dr's sometimes take this approach. It really pisses me off. They are the reason that every Dr treats a spiney like a crackhead. They are the ones that wrote all the needless prescriptions for minor injuries or pain. Now when they come across someone with REAL ISSUES concerning pain, they can view your tests, MRI'S discograms, etc, suddenly they don't want to give the correct pain meds. I live in TN and this is the state to write the most pain scripts in the US and my dr's have no problems with getting me the right thing, they know this isn't pain from a skinned knee.

Sorry to go off like that but I hate to know someone is in pain and a Dr refuses to help. Sounds like you are a stand up guy and don't deserve your reg Dr to take this kind of stand on medication. I can only advise that if the pain is out of control, go to the ER. They are required to get you stable. And then call your surgeons office next day to advise of your trip to er. Maybe that will make them see the light.

Also, diazepam is a serious depressant as well as being an excellent muscle relaxer, could this be why the Dr is saying that? When my depression was at it's worst, I cut mine in half, i hurt little more but it did ease the depression with additional antidepressant.

Sorry for the long post.