Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Went for pre-op acdf 4/5, 5/6 but a few questions

linnryllinnry Posts: 34
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
On Monday I went for my pre-op (surgery is on track for this friday.. yikes, only a day away) everything went fine but I had a few questions. I have been on pain meds for over a year for these bad disks and stenosis and I asked them at the pre-op if it's going to cause problems with my pain relief in recovery and afterwards and they said that after this surgery I should be rid of all my pain so no problem. It really made me wonder does this mean that I will wake and for the most part have almost no pain? I know the incision site pain and I am having donor bone and not hip bone for it so that won't be a problem. They later said I would most likely be on a pain pump in recovery. Now a little about what happened. Got paperwork done, had an EKG, that was good, took my blood pressure, that was good. Talked to me some more and i signed more paperwork. It would be sooo good if I could have this surgery and like a few days later not have any pain. Is this too much of a stretch? What is a realistic time period for me to be signifigantly pain free? Right now this shoulder pain is the worst and will be glad to be rid of it. Hope all of you are having a good night. Thanks
advertisement

Comments

• Hi linn. You will be in pain after surgery. They will keep you fairly comfortable in the hospital. It takes awhile for the nerves involved to heal. After my last cervical fusion it took 2 months for the feeling in my fingers to return. And the recovery is estimated to be 6 weeks. I was told in the past I could return to work 6 weeks post op. Make sure to ask your surgeon or his assistant about the time frame. The nurses in pre op must have never had this surgery! It took time to get where you are and the healing will take time too. Don't rush your recovery! Or you will end up right back where you are. Good luck tomorrow. Let us know how you're doing when you can.

Faith M
  • Hi linn,

As far as my surgery. I used my bone and when I woke the neck pain was no big deal but my hip smarted some. I have had several surgeries on my cervical spine. The last one I think I had two percocet from when I woke till the time I went home. The pain in my arm was so bad and I felt so much better that the surgery pain wasn't bad compared to what level of pain I had been in. Keep in mind everyone is different. I think the pain levels also have a lot to do, as to what meds they actually put in the surgery site itself. There have many here whom woke with minimal pain as the horrific pain was gone but had a malingering pain from the nerve compression and some will take up till a year for the nerve to completely heal up. Don't focus to much on the pain aspect as the hospital will keep you very comfortable. Be sure to take your meds as prescribed and stay ahead of the pain. If you have been on large doses of pain meds, hopefully following surgery you will be able to reduce all of those. Good luck in surgery tomorrow and let us know how you did as soon as you are able.
  • I wished I could tell you it was just that easy. Everyone is different and it depends a whole lot on how much nerve damage there has been. I for one am 6 weeks post-op. At this point I've little to no relief with my both shoulders in pain and still have a numb streak from just behind my thumb, on my left arm, all the way to the shoulder still numb. I see my NS next week for the second time since surgery. I really don't know what my next step is, but I do know I can't deal with this for very much longer, else I'll pull my hair out. I truly hope your surgery takes away your pains. Any kind of activity seems to make it worse for me and by that I mean putting dishes away from the dishwasher, driving a car or even typing on this computer. Some speak of whether to have surgery of not to have it. Mine wasn't an option and yet it looks like I'll still have to deal with this for some time to come. I'm still taking my pain meds and really don't know when I'll ever get off them!
  • Thanks to all of you for this info. I am packing now and we are heading out in the morning VERY early. Seems i am the first surgery of the day for my neuro. Time will be 7:00 and I feel good about it, kind of apprehensive yes but cannot live this way in this pain so might as well look forward to it. I do have nerve compression so I bet i will feel much better after it's done. I will be sure to check in here as soon as I feel better and thanks all of you again, justme, i will be praying for you and everyone else in here, peace my friends
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Thinking of you. I hope that your surgery goes well and that you're soon on the mend!
    Let us know how you are as soon as you can.

Debbie
advertisement