Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anterior Cervical Discectomy - Info Please

sparkledctssparkledct Posts: 120
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello everyone. I was so glad to find this site and what looks like a wonderful support group. I am hoping someone can give me a little bit of information on the surgery I am having on (of all days) April 1st. I want someone honest that can tell me what to really expect. I am having the above listed procedure with a cadaver bone and the metal plate C6-C7 area. I have a job I work (sitting down) 10 hours a day and am the single mother of 3 kids (6, 11, 15)Can someone tell me How much pain I am going to be in, seriously. How long will it take till I can take care of the house/kids on my own. Also I am a singer and I am so worried what is going to happen to my voice. How much work will I miss. Some people have told me 2 weeks some have told me 4. Just need some guidance as I am slightly freaking out right now. I have degeneration along with bone spurs that are pushing on the nerve root (terrible neck, arm pain with migranes numbness & weakness) Any info is appreciated. Thank you so much. I only have my mom for support and am worried what I will be able to do on my own.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,833

For a Spine-Health Site introduction, Click on :

Welcome To Spine-Health

If you have any questions, feel free to contact (PM) any one of the Moderators here Priestess , Jeauxbert, Bruce , Paulgla, DiLauro
    In addition, you can always contact any one of the members of the Authority team haglandc , tamtam , Neck of Steel , Cath111

The Spine-Health Web site offers so much more than these Member Forums.
    Check the various tabs at the top of the Spine-Health page and you will find so much that is offered here.

Please remember that all information you receive from members on this forum is NOT
    formal medical advise. You should always consult with your doctors.

To get back to the Forums, you can always click on Forum Home

Please feel free to contact me at rdilauro@gmail.com or send me a message
    I have had both lumbar and cervical surgeries. For me, both of my ACDF (C4,C5,C6,C7) two separate times were much more successful then my other lumbar surgeries. I had almost immediate relief from the pain and discomfort I was feeling prior to surgery. I wore a hard collar for about 7 weeks, 24x7. Then I start physical therapy.

I opted for my own bone graft, plus for me what was very important, I donated blood prior to surgery.
    This way (and they did need it) they used my own

I worked as a computer programmer and had a 1 hour commute. Then increased the time I was out of work.
    By the end of the 3rd month I was back part time and after 5 months, full time.

But remember, my surgeries were back in 1994 and 2000. A lot has changed in the procedures today.
    Things are done quicker and easier today

Years later, for the most part I am trouble free. The only times I do have problems is IF I overdo something or do something I shouldnt have.

Remember, the most important message here, is to
    ALWAYS adhere to all your restrictions and limitations. Even when you are feeling good.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Thanks for everything you guys...