Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Leg pain after Micro-D

hj_sparks85hhj_sparks85 Posts: 38
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all,
Been a week since my Microdisectomy and been feeling ok. I had trouble with the nerve as part of the disc had broken off and trapped the nerve badly. I had numbness, tingling etc in ly left bum cheek, thigh and foot.
I have slight pain in my back but have very bad pain in my left leg now - worse than before.
I have stoppeed taking the strong pills and just sticking to paracetemol and brufen but feel like im going backwards.
My leg feels to achy and like its going to fall off!
I use a hot water bottle which eases it a little but feel like im going backwards.

Is this normal?

• I can't really say if your particular situation is normal, but I can tell you that it is very common for the patient to have new and/or different pain after surgery, particularly if there was nerve compression.

Also, when the surgeon closes, right before sewing you up, it is common procedure to bathe the surgical area with a combination of pain medication and antibiotics. This will often last for a number of days, up to two weeks with a bigger surgery. It is designed to get the patient past the worst of the surgical pain. But the downside is that you think you're doing great, and then this wears off and you have what you perceive as new pain. This may be what is going on with you.

The other explanation is that the nerve is just ticked off. It was compressed prior to surgery. Then it went through a degree of trauma during surgery, and it will just take some time to recover. Nerves heal very slowly...longer than any of us think they should.

Keep walking even if it hurts. Walking is the best exercise for stretching out the nerves and it helps to keep scar tissue from attaching to the nerve. It gets freshly oxygenated blood to the area which helps with the healing.

If you are too uncomfortable you could ask your surgeon for something for nerve pain. This will be a drug like Lyrica or neurontin (gabapentin is the generic name).

Try not to worry. A positive attitude goes a long way toward healing.

• Hi there,

I would call your doctor just to ask what is best to help it. It is not uncommon. I recall that happened to me (did the same thing with coming off pain meds quickly). I called to tell them my symptoms and ask if I could ice my back and how I could help leg pain. They gave me some instructions. It was like the first few days of the 2nd week.

Not sure...could it be the nerve 'waking up'? Do you have feeling back in your leg?
  • Thanks all,

Going to docs in the week to have the stitches removed so hoping it will ease after that.